5 - The Little Things

AN: Woop! Thank you to @evrillaaaa for all the votes! This chapter is dedicated to you. It's difficult writing Lilly's chapters...differently. Glad I updated, though!

The halls of Xavier's School for the Gifted echoed with laughter and talk about the latest trends. The aroma of bitter coffee beans swam through the air and mingled with the sweet fragrances of perfume and freshly picked fruit. I walked down the middle of the long corridor, eyes wandering around. The same old flyers and posters clung to the cork boards and polished dark wood. Go to Soccer Practice! Basketball Tryouts! Cheerleading Squad Fun! Chess Club! D&D Time! Did they ever take these down? I shook my head and kept walking. With all of the voices echoing in the hall, no one ever came into view. I raised an eyebrow and peered through a door window into a classroom.

Empty.

Huh. Lunch break, maybe?

A soft humming drifted into my ears. A gentle wave of notes washed over my ears. Something recognizable, yet so far off. The longer I listened, the more my muscles relaxed.

Crescendo. Up. Up. Down. The notes flowed in a lullaby, entrancing my heart. It copied the beat of the melody, allowing me to feel the blood pumping throughout my body. I knew that voice. I couldn't place the name, but I know they are close to me. My feet carried me down the hall.

Quicker.

Quicker.

The humming grew louder the closer I got.

Who could it be? Why can't I remember? Where are they? How could I hear them through all of the noise?

I reached the door at the end of the hall. Kitty's room. The humming vibrated in my ears. The words...I can't remember the words. My hands hesitatingly reached for the door knob.The tune soothed my aching heart. Did I really want it to stop?

No. Not really.

My insides twisted as if a knife had stabbed me in the back. Something tried pushing me forward. Why should I? The humming was beautiful. It shouldn't end! A shock wave of pain shot through my insides. I nearly cried out through clenched teeth. Stop! Stop! Stop! I opened the door, and the humming ceased. The pain ended abruptly as I stepped into Kitty's room.

Hues of the light purple walls darkened as it ascended to the ceiling. The glow in the dark stars disappeared and were replaced by crimson paints and shimmering glitter. The polaroids on the wall hung in different spots than last time, capturing moments between Kitty and the team. The desk had markings on the top of it, as if it were phased through one too many times and stabbed with pens and scissors. Kitty sat upright on her bed as she worked on her small laptop. Her dark hair hung up into a ponytail and stray hairs grazed against her eyes..

I blinked a few times. "Was that you humming?"

Kitty's hazel eyes glanced up from her laptop, yet she never stopped typing. "No. You heard humming?"

I...what? It was so loud! I hung onto my thoughts by the edge, losing my grip on reality. I clung to it, scratched at the edge, yearning to yank myself up onto whatever platform the humming arose. I sat down on Kitty's green fluffy bed. I mindlessly ran my fingers along the creases of the blanket. Why was the humming so loud, only to suddenly stop? A small tinge of disappointment flourished through my heart as it fell into its own steady beat. The tip tap of typing brought me back, causing me to let go of the edge. I fixed my gaze on Kitty. "Where is everyone? In class or something?"

"It's Saturday." She mindlessly answered, eyes not meeting mine. Her voice revealed distance with the way the last word of each sentence dripped off her tongue. Mentally, she wasn't there. "The kids have been walking through the halls for hours."