9 - One Step Closer

AN: Dedicated to @FirePixie11 for the mass of votes! :D Thank you.

Hospitals never sat right with Peter.

His stomach dropped on instinct. Too many visits to see Aunt May when she had problems. Not enough visits when he was injured and should have come. All the patients groaning in pain or screaming in the waiting room. The overwhelming smell of carnations and illness. Not to mention the mixture of cleaning products it took to keep the place sanitized. It was strong, the kind of cleanliness one would get if you bleached the entire room. With a mixture of...hand sanitizer and a heady aroma of window cleaner. Gross combination.

And the people that couldn't afford to pay their bills? The ones saying goodbye for the last time? The ones just finding out they don't have long? Their crying, anger, fear, and more all swarmed the air. It was too much.

Peter tensed as he kept up the pace with Tony, who walked ahead of him. Peter shoved his hands in his blue pant pockets and snuggled further into his green sweatshirt. "So, why are we here?"

Tony fluidly walked through the compact hall, managing to walk nearly straight without bumping into people. Not even putting a crease into his dark T-shirt and black pants combo. How? Peter didn't know. Chalk that up to one of the things Tony can do without explanation. Doctors, nurses, and patients all passed by as they weaved their way around the hall. Tony didn't bother looking back as he talked, "Ella Harper can help us."

"A nurse, though? Why not get some renowned world doctor to help?"

That statement itself earned Peter a glance from Tony. Even through his tinted glasses, he could see the feign flash of pain. "You don't trust me?"

Peter shrugged. Trusted him enough to get out of bed this morning to join this adventure. Though...he didn't get much sleep. That discovery at the breakin at Shaw Industries nagged at him so much that he only got two hours of sleep. Who needs sleep to function, anyway? Totally not Peter. Totally.

Ugh.

"I trust you. I'm curious."

A sigh danced in Tony's throat, not fully coming out. He thought about it for a moment until he replied, "We don't need to pay a fancy doctor a lot of money just to help Lilly be more comfortable. If we wanted comfort, we could do it ourselves. We need a specialist."

"How did you find her?" They needed the very best for this situation. If Tony thinks this nurse is the best shot they have, then so be it. Peter didn't have enough time to do a deep dive search into other candidates. He had way too much on his research plate. All he had were questions. Gosh. Now Peter just felt like a reporter. Two questions down, and only a handful more to go.

"Steve did some digging while substituting at Xavier's school."

"What can she do?"

"You'll see." Tony nodded to a nurse, who nodded back and gave a few directions.

Really? Tony? Knowing what hookup to have in a hospital? What did he do? Pay her off? Use his charm? Gross. Peter could actually imagine that. When Tony wanted to, he was a very smooth talker. When did he actually have time to come to the hospital to schmooze?

Eventually, they weaved around enough of the hospital and found who they were looking for. Tony stepped towards her and called out, "Ella Harper?"

The nurse turned around and looked at both of them with piercing blue eyes. Her blonde hair was neatly tied up into a bun. The lavender scrubs she wore matched her, making her eyes pop more. Her neutral expression turned skeptical before she asked, "Yes?"