Matthew

Shiro stepped forward, raising his hand. Their hands clasped together and they pulled closer, tossing their other arm around the other.

Lance made odd, unintelligible noises while Hunk slapped his hands over his mouth.

"I'm glad you're okay, Matt." Shiro murmured. Matthew chuckled as they pulled away, dark amber eyes sparkling. Shiro grinned and slapped a hand on his shoulder.

"You, too." Matthew smiled fondly, then leaned over to look at the other two paladins and raised a brow. "They are... Also Paladins?"

Shiro chuckled sheepishly and nodded. "Yes. The legs of Voltron. Guys, want to introduce yourself?" Shiro turned to the side.

Hunk leapt forward first, clasping Matthew's smaller hand in both of his. "It's so, so, so good to finally meet you!" Hunk shouted, grinning from ear-to-ear as he violently shook Matthew's hand. "You're totally my hero! You're super smart and you were on the Kerberos mission - first ever going so far from earth and all- and you're super cool for surviving the Galra empire and now you're a rebel-!"

"My turn, Hunk!" Lance shouted, shoving Hunk to take Matthew's hand. "I'm the best pilot next to Shiro, don't listen to what Keith has to say, and Pidge is going to be so pumped to finally see you, holy quiznak, I am blessed!"

~

"Is this Pidge the red paladin or green paladin?" Matthew asked as he stood beside Shiro in the black lion, Hunk and Lance starry eyed behind him.

Shiro steered the lion into the hangar and sighed. "Paladin of the green lion."

"And my father?" Matthew gripped Shiro's shoulder. "Did you ever find my father?"

The black paladin breathed in deeply and closed his eyes. "I... Shouldn't be the one to tell you..."

Matthew furrowed his brows and tilted his head. However, before he could speak, Allura appeared on the screen. "Shiro, Pidge is awake. She's in here waiting for you. Bring our guest."

The younger man blinked, then smirked smugly as he nudged Shiro with his elbow. "Did you get yourself a girlfriend while I was out!? Dude, I thought your innocence and self-restraint and your unbearable respect would have kept you from getting a girlfriend for another good decade!"

Shiro offered a weak smile as he stood. "Come meet her."

~

Matthew snorted and teased Shiro all the way up to the command room until the doors slid open. He spotted the princess standing next to a short girl(whom he assumed to be the green paladin), and dropped to one knee. "Princess Allura of Altea. We thank you for joining the battle against Zarkon. We've been fighting against him for centuries, but only recently have we made a name for ourselves. I am General Matthew Holt, and I am at your service." His head was bowed deep and his arm bent over his knee.

A soft gasp surprised him.

"Matthew...?"

The man blinked and looked up.

The green paladin's familiar amber eyes were wide and welling with tears. Her small hands were drawn up over her chest and her hair was pulled up into a messy bun that hung loosely. Large, circular glasses sat lopsided on her freckled nose. Matthew shot to his feet, his own eyes widening.

"Katie?"

He stepped forward and she sobbed. She shook her head, then bolted forward, down the stairs and straight into his arms. "Matthew!"

Without hesitating, Matthew wrapped his arms around her and squeezed. "Katie... Katie, what are you doing out here?"

Katie couldn't respond between her sobs, grip tightening on the trench coat he wore. Matthew buried his nose in her hair and closed his eyes. "I'm okay, Katie... Everything's okay." She nodded, nuzzling into his shoulder. "Everything is going to be okay."

Shiro stood back, itching to hold Katie and wipe away her tears, but he had to let her hold Matthew, and Matthew had to hold her. They both needed it after everything they've gone through. He'll give them their time.

~

Her eyes absolutely sparkled as she looked at her brother, showing him all of her projects and explaining them, then proceeding to explain all sorts of Altean technology she had broken down to understand. The pride in Matthew was unmistakable as he listened to her and praised her.

However, Shiro could see Matthew looking around, glancing off with a question lingering on the tip of his tongue.

So, as the two were sitting int the lab, Shiro approached them. Katie grinned up at him and his chest tightened. He offered his hand and she took it. "Katie." Shiro whispered and she hummed. The black paladin gulped as he looked down at Matthew.

Matthew seemed to catch on and he raised himself.

Shiro returned his gaze to Katie's wide, happy eyes. He clenched his jaw. "Katie... You should tell him."

Slowly, Katie's smile wilted and her eyes darkened. "Oh..." Shiro squeezed her hand as she looked back at Matthew. Katie pursed her lips and grabbed her brother's hand. "Matt... We found dad a couple weeks ago..."

"I heard..." Matthew muttered, voice low. The gear turned in his head as his gaze lowered.

"We stayed on the planet for a while," she whispered, voice soft. "I saw him the night after heading towards the caves... So I followed him... He tried saving one of the aliens, but I thought... I thought something in him snapped... I thought he killed all of them."

A horrified expression flashed over Matthew's face and he jolted back. Katie gripped his hand tighter so he wouldn't pull away. "But... He convinced me he didn't... And then... Then..." Katie trembled, tears streaking her cheeks.

Gently, Shiro gathered Katie in his arms, letting her hide her face away in his chest. Matthew looked up at Shiro, shaking himself. The black paladin closed his eyes and furrowed his brows. "A Galra snuck up behind him... Stabbed him through the chest right in front of her." Matthew's breath hitched, tears in his eyes. "He died before we got to them."

Katie sobbed, curling her fingers tightly into Shiro's shirt. Matthew lowered his head, balling his hands into fists. Shiro tightly hugged Katie, tangling his prosthetic fingers in her hair.

"I'm sorry..."