12 | Cabin

Kit didn't show up at school for most of the week, but nobody was too surprised about that. They say that he's a genius, that he doesn't need to go to school; Kit already knows everything they have to teach. He could have graduated years ago if he wanted to. He's exceptional in academics and sports, so the school turns a blind eye to his indiscretions and misdemeanors. Christopher Valentine is untouchable, so he can smoke and skip class all he likes. 

He missed chemistry lab on Thursday. Other people noticed too, and they stared at me accusatorially, as if I was the one who didn't allow him to come. There are rumours circulating around school that we hooked up, and others that we were dating and he broke up with me. I wish it was that simple. I wish I didn't want to kill him and then piece his limbs back together. 

We had an argument, and if he can't handle the pressure of seeing me that's his problem, and certainly not mine. He's acting weak for avoiding me, for hiding away and avoiding his friends. The more he avoided me, the more our relationship festered around us and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. 

I'd been working everyday in the Flower shop and with Andrew and Iris' help I've started to get the hang of it. Mum and dad were supportive about the job. They asked me what the pay was and I realized that I hadn't asked about compensation before. 

I asked Iris what my salary was, and the number she told me made me lift my eyebrows in surprise. I'd assumed I'd earn minimum wage but Iris told me that we were all family in her shop, and that money wasn't a problem. I asked her whether I could miss my shift on Friday, and Iris dismissed me and told me to have a great time as she smiled

"You kids worry too much. Have fun, Lux. We'll manage just fine without you," She said. Her aura radiates positivity, she spreads full unuldilated joy wherever she passes: Iris is one of those people who light every room they step into. 

On Friday afternoon, Alec drove both of us to the Black's house, intent on driving his new car on the highway to the cabin. We pulled up on the driveway at about five afternoon. I opened the door and jumped off of the Jeep, the soles of my sneakers hitting the hard pavement.

"The girls are inside!" Nick shouted at me, and I nodded.

I follow the sound of voices into Kaia's bedroom upstairs. The last time I was at her house these walls were spinning post-blackout and God, it seems so long ago. Selene looks at me from the bed as I step inside, and I greet them all. Bronte's watching the news and Kaia hurries around the room, chucking her clothes into a beaten duffle bag.

"Will you help me finish packing? Kaia pleads, her hair a mess. 

"Of course."

"Why are you always the last one ready?" Selene says.

"Shut up." 

Bronte snickers at the corner and Selene rolls her eyes. I'd be dead right now if I told her to shut up like Kaia did. Selene would've skinned me alive. 

I fold Kaia's clothes and place them into the bag while she finishes grabbing her toiletries in the bathroom. She chucks her back inside and thanks me, then closes the zipper. 

"Okay, everyone pee before we go," Bronte says. 

"Okay mom," Kaia laughs and Bronte shows her the finger. 

"Won't your parents mind that we're at the house?"

"No. We've been staying alone there since we were thirteen. They used to drive us to the cabin and then pick us up on Sunday," she laughed. "When the boys got their licenses it became so much easier, thank gosh."