Chapter 26 | Fading From Our Hearts

——————————————————————————

After the courtroom drama, in the mess hall

I gave a dreary yawn, sinking down from my sitting position to rest my head on my hands. With Eren having been sent to stay with the Survey Corp, and Mikasa being stressed out all the time, life was a drag; not to mention all the people we had lost during the battle for Trost. The tables surrounding us in the mess hall seemed almost empty compared to how many people had been sitting here days before; the absence of over 100 people was hard to miss when we had around 300 people initially join the Training Corp.

I recalled the last time I had seen Eren, after he had been escorted out of the courtroom. I had rushed to meet him, Mikasa and Armin falling behind. 

I only just made it to him before he was bundled away and taken off to the Survey Corp headquarters. He was on his knees outside of a wooden carriage with barred windows, waiting to be shoved inside, still bloody and shaking, clearly in immense pain. I rushed towards him, falling to my knees in front of him and pulling him into my arms. With his hands bound behind his back, all he could do was bury his head in the crook of my neck helplessly, his breath coming out heavy. 

"Y/n..." He mumbled, sounding dazed, and in response I simply held him closer, keeping in mind not to hold him too tight in case I hurt him. I brought my hand up to hold the back of his head, running my fingers through his hair. 

"I'm so sorry Eren, I'm so sorry that happened but I'm so glad you're safe now, you did so well, thank you... thank you..." I was stumbling over my words trying to get them out fast enough, knowing I didn't have long. 

"I hurt you..." He whispered, and I didn't know if it were his injuries our his guilt that was making him sound like he was tearing up. 

"No you didn't, I promise you didn't." I reassured him hastily. With the little strength he had, he leant back out of my hold to look at me, to make sure I was alright, and as he did he was pulled away from me by some soldiers and placed into the carriage. He tried his best to struggle out of his restraints, to reach out for me, but it was no use. 

"Eren!" I called out as they shut the doors. "It's okay! I'll see you soon!"

That was the last time I saw him. 

At this time however, I was currently seated in the mess hall for dinner, although not many people were eating. It had been days since I'd seen Eren. Sasha was to my left, one of the only people scarfing down her food. Armin was on my right, gazing down at his hands. Mikasa sat opposite me, staring into the table. Connie and Jean were either side, Connie opposite Sasha so he could crack jokes, Jean opposite Armin, as he was one of the closest friends he had now. Bertolt and Reiner were seated at another table, looking across at us. Even they seemed reserved and quiet, Bertolt more than ever. Reiner was undoubtedly the biggest change, barely speaking. His big brother persona was absent; it made sense, having lost so many friends. I could already tell that the next 5 days would be miserable until we chose what regiment we were joining and got away from the haunting, bittersweet memories that still lingered in the Training Corp

"Fuck." I sighed, shutting my eyes. "I don't think things have ever felt this dull her before." I remarked quietly. "Or have ever felt this shitty."

"At least we still have our lives," Sasha said cheerily, ignorant of the implied message in her words.

Connie rolled his eyes at her, pushing her gently, and her expression fell.