Prologue

Stars shimmered all around. A dark brown she-cat looked down on the forest, her head bowed. A white and ginger tom went up to her. "Elmpoppy?" He mewed. The she-cat looked at him. "What have I done Onestar..?" She asked him.
The tom blinked. "You made a decision." He replied.
Elmpoppy stared down. "I'm not there for my kits when I should be!" She growled to herself. A gentle tail was placed in her shoulder. She whipped her head around. A ginger tabby stood beside her. Her eyes were a light warm blue.
"Who are you..?" Elmpoppy asked her.
"My name is Sungaze." She replied to her. "What are you doing beside me?" Elmpoppy muttered.
"I have gone through the same thing." Sungaze meowed.
The young StarClan warrior blinked in shock. "My kits... Littlekit and Lynxkit... if only I weren't dead." Elmpoppy growled.
"They know your watching. And Starclan knows who did it. Walk with me." The ginger tabby started walking.
Elmpoppy followed her. She looked around and saw a mighty den. "What's that?" She asked starting to walk to it. It was a den filled with the spirits of dead kits. And queens too. "That's where kits who have died rest. And their mothers."
"Tell another story Sageear!" A kit squealed to a pale brown she-cat.
"Sageear was a mother of two. Her two kits didn't make it since they were born in lead bare. She died a few moons later from greencough." Sungaze told Elmpoppy. Her blue eyes shone with guilt. "Oh my.. what did she name them?" She asked the clearly much older StarClan warrior.
"Lightkit and Narrowkit." She flicked her tail to two sleeping kits side by side. The StarClan queen purred and smiled down at them. They both looked peaceful and happy. "Queens who have died usually will stay here to comfort kits, young apprentices, and other queens who have died and even take care of them." She mewed. Elmpoppy's eyes softened.
"I think you might want to walk to see something else." She told the WolfClan cat. Elmpoppy nodded and followed behind her. She walked at her side.
"I wish I was there for my son." Sungaze mewed softly.
Elmpoppy's brown ears pricked. "Your son?" She echoed.
"His father took him to the mountains after a war broke out. I never saw him again." Her voice sudden grew sad.
"Where do you think he is now?" She asked him.
"I know where he is." Sungaze stopped and looked at her.
Elmpoppy's eyes widened with curiosity. Was this cat dead? Alive? In the Dark Forest? A rogue? A loner? A kittypet?
"My son is Bravestar."