Six

Daspar and Tasar stood guard outside the hotel room watching for signs of the Hunters, while Tage paced inside, chewing the last bits of her nails

Daspar and Tasar stood guard outside the hotel room watching for signs of the Hunters, while Tage paced inside, chewing the last bits of her nails. What the heck was taking Corinne and Halen so long? She moved to her index finger, now raw with pink skin, then tucked her hands in her pockets and stopped next to Lina. "How much longer for the portal?"

"These things take time." Lina ran her hands in counterclockwise circles against the window.

Ezra peeled the wrapper off another candy bar. "Even if we go through the portal, the Hunter's soul will lead them right to us." He waved the chocolate bar toward Dax as if it were a sword.

Dax's fist tightened on the vial now, fastened to the chain around his neck. "You don't have to worry about it. We'll be out of here soon." "Not soon enough," Ezra said.

Tage couldn't agree more. Trapped in a room of siren hunters, it would be open season with nowhere to run. "Where will the portal take us?"

"I've split the portal. Tasar and I have matters to settle elsewhere on Earth, but you, Ezra, and Dax will go with Halen to Elosia."

"No way," Ezra said. "We'll be dead the second we enter."

Tage agreed. "The Elosians don't care that Halen risked her life for the realms. As long as Rania is head of the Council, they will never welcome a siren in Elosia." She turned to Lina. "Send us somewhere else."

Dax dipped his finger in the ripple. "Lina's right—Elosia is a good idea. The Hunters won't expect it."

Ezra scrunched the candy wrapper in his fist. "We've been going along with your plan from the beginning and look where it's gotten us. You're only thinking of yourself." He bumped against Dax. "You just want to keep the Hunters away from that soul so you don't end up their puppet."

Dax shrugged. "Stay here then and get slaughtered."

"We've got Mother Nature on our side," Ezra said. "Have you forgotten what Halen can do?"

"Could do." Tage grasped his shoulder, pulling him away from Dax. "Halen's not the same. Whatever happened to her in Asair's dimension screwed with her magick. Taking on the Hunters might drain her completely. We can't ask that of her."

"Look, I'm thinking of Halen." Dax tucked the vial under his shirt. "Sure, it doesn't help to have the Hunter's mark. But despite what you think, Halen's safety is all I care about."

"We all care about her," Ezra said.

"We'll pass through Elosia, hide out for a few days, then move on," Dax said. "Trust me. We'll be fine. Halen's father is in Elosia. He'll help."

Tage's bones throbbed along her forearm. She searched his gaze. Was this a lie? Was Halen not safe in Elosia? Something wasn't right. "We'll go," Tage said. "But any sign of Rania and we're out of there—deal?"