Prologue

"When the time comes, promise not to kill me

"When the time comes, promise not to kill me." Galadia rested her head in the crook of Tarius's neck. 

He inhaled her sweet, salty scent, taking in each breath as if it were his last. "You will have to leave before the change."

She propped up on her elbows, meeting his gaze. "I am jesting. You could never harm me."

"But the beast I will become might." He brushed her soft cheek, wishing for another way.

"Let us try again, then. We must convince heaven's council we need to be together." Her tone grew determined.

The hope in her eyes cut deep like dragon talons in the flesh of prey. "We have tried. You are to be the mother of Elosia and I the father of Etlis. We cannot change destiny."

"Why must we obey their rules? Visit me on the shore each night when the moon is high above the water. Earth can still be our home." Her mouth turned with a smile.

He loved that smile; the mischievous grin that often led to trouble. He would do anything for that smile. 

* * *

On the winter's full moon, Tarius stood by the shore as he had every night since he had kissed Galadia goodbye. Nevertheless, season after season, year after year, she never returned. The waves lapped at his hooves and he wished for a body with gills and fins to bring him closer to her. 

"I have lost her," he said to his trusted advisor, Nora. 

"She does not love you anymore." She stroked his fur, running her hand along his antlers. "Let her go."

"But what if something is wrong? Maybe she cannot surface." He had to believe Galadia still loved him, otherwise, what was the point of going on? A life without her was not worth living. 

"Her people come to shore. The Elosians mate with the humans." Nora faced him; her eyes dark as the churning sea. "Nothing is keeping Galadia from here."

"Bring me an Elosian, then. We will find a way to Galadia." He struck his hoof against the sand and lightning flashed in the sky; a warning to tame his frustration.

"We have tried before. They die before we get answers. Elosians cannot breathe on land long enough to withstand interrogation."

"Then bring me a siren." The sky trembled with thunder at his suggestion.  

Nora's lips parted, her tongue on her teeth, and he knew she would advise against it. The sirens were wild, filled with dark magick, storms and destruction. Yet, he had witnessed miracles in the presence of these magnificent creatures. The sirens' very existence defied the heavens, planting jealousy in his soul—they were free, while he remained tethered to his realm. "If I can tame one, perhaps find a way to shackle their magick, then I can bring Galadia home to me."

"It is too dangerous. Even the Elosians have abandoned the sirens."

"I need to know why she hasn't come." His voice came out wounded, as it always did when he spoke of Galadia. 

"I will do as you ask, but when she does not return, promise you will let her go." Her mouth broke with a soft smile. "There are others who love you—others waiting for your heart."

He knew she yearned for his love just as he longed to witness Galadia surface in the sea. Nora stood by the shore of his heart, waiting to be swept away in his love. Why did she not see he could never love another? But he needed this favor, and if Galadia returned, then he would never have to break his promise. "If she does not come, then I will let her go. I give you my word."

Nora bowed with a quick nod. She spread her arms by her sides and the winds rustled, picking up her hair and spinning it around her as she transformed into the raven he trusted. She flew toward the trees lining the shore, disappearing into the thick of the forest. Had he known his most trusted advisor would betray him, that everything he had created, every tear, every smile would be lost in that one promise—he would have drowned the wretched raven in the sea that day.

 Had he known his most trusted advisor would betray him, that everything he had created, every tear, every smile would be lost in that one promise—he would have drowned the wretched raven in the sea that day