Genesis | 18

G E N E S I S | 18

7TH DECEMBER 2035

18 DAYS LEFT

Knocking my knuckles on the door of the familiar mansion that stood before me, I took a step backwards and waited for someone to come to the door.

I had finally taken up my mother’s offer of paying a visit after quite a deal of begging and persuading on her part over the phone. Mentally, I readied myself of what may happen this evening and what torture I may possibly have to endure.

A few moments later, the door swung open to reveal a familiar, elderly woman who was dressed in a black and white uniform with a feather duster in hand. Remembering all the good times, I smiled at her. Old age had done her good, I mused as I took in her appearance. Her thick blonde hair which now had some strands of white in it was piled up at the top of her head, framing her elder, heart shaped face. Seeing this woman again brought back good times, the times that I was genuinely happy.

There were a few laugh lines around her mouth, a sparkle in her eye and genuine smile playing at her lips once her eyes fell on me. Smiling at the lady who I remembered to be around since I was a little child, I watched as a few tears poured down her face, he lips curving up and her eyes sparkling.

“Oh, my boy!” She gushed in her thick Italian accent as she pulled me in for a hug, enveloping me in her arms. “It’s been too long.” She gushed as she patted my hair, sniffling softly as she did.

“It’s okay, Rosa.” I assured her as I returned her hug, burying my face in her hair, just like I used to do when I was young. Even back then, all those years ago, Rosa was there for me.

Rosa would make sure that I was well looked after, tending to my every need as my health fluctuated. She was like a mother to me, much more of a mother than my real one.

I was able to be myself around Rosa as I felt comfortable in her presence, not something that I normally felt when I was around people.

Rosa had helped me a lot when I was younger, much more than she realised. As much as she kept me in health and made sure that I took my medicine, Rosa kept me sane. She would make up for the lack of attention and care that I never got from my family without even realising it.

Rosa was probably the only thing that I missed about this place when my father had me moved out a couple of years ago.

Unwrapping my arms from around Rosa after relishing in her warm embrace, I asked her a question regarding the reason that I came here after such great persuasion on my mother’s part. “Where are they?”

Rosa avoided looking me in the eye as she stubbed the toe of her boot on the ground, a sullen look on her face. “They’re not home. The family left for a weekend away.” She admitted, giving me a sad look.

And behold, it had happened again.

My mum had called me continuously yesterday, demanding that I come over, claiming that she had missed me and wanted to spend more time with her and the rest of the family, but now I hear that they were all away for the weekend, spending time together without me. Once again.