4. What You Know

"Which house do you want to be in?"

"Are you absolutely certain that someone else brings our things inside?"

"Hermione Granger, I asked you a question. You really should answer."

"Draco Malfoy, you don't own me yet."

"I kind of do, actually. I have since we were eight."

"Oh?"

"That's how it works. I choose you, then I own you. That's how it works. You can't be in Gryffindor."

She glanced at him, and he thought for a moment that she was about to fold her arms and scold him. "Why not?"

"Because I said so. And I'll be in Slytherin. A Slytherin cannot be with a Gyffindor."

"Why?"

"Because it's not done."

"Why not?"

"House rivalry, probably."

"And why does that exist?"

"Because Gryffindor just isn't as good as Slytherin. Never has been."

Hermione didn't answer, no retort tripping out off her mouth. Draco was about to brag about his victory, but cut himself off just as quickly when he saw what had caught her attention: a gigantic man, towering over every single one of the students milling around the platform, held a swinging torch in his hand. He looked like a monste with his mangy beard and hair shadowing his face, making him seem incredibly horrific. Someone who had stepped right out of a muggle ghost story.

"Who's that?"

"Hagrid. Gamekeeper."

"Okay, how do you know that?"

Potter told me. Except the Boy Who Lived seemed a bit of an idiot, really, so Draco didn't want to admit that he'd learned something from him. "I've been here before."

She scoffed at that. "Come on, we're meant to follow him."

"Oh, brilliant," Draco said, rather sarcastic. Hermione didn't seem to hear him as she walked away. He hurried after her-because she's mine, he told himself.

They settled into the boats soon after, having been given the instructions no more'n four to a boat. Hermione was itching to correct his enunciation, but the sight of the castle distracted her. Turrets and towers defined the silhouette of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, lights bright in many of the windows. The castle itself wasn't clearly visible, but against the clear star-studded sky, it looked amazing anyway. She had never seen anything more beautiful-or more intimidating. The silence of her fellow first years wasn't helping.

She had climbed in first, so she had expected to be shoved up against the far wall. Draco was beside her in the back, their similar small builds a significant advantage-at least when it came to fitting in the boat. It didn't help her nerves that Draco kept leaning backwards, and would have toppled any normal boat. It was propelled by magic, though, and so didn't tip as he grimaced at the bench in front of them, a bench she hadn't noticed at first. Hermione found his behaviour rather rude, particularly since one of the two in front of them was Neville, and all he'd done was ask Draco for help finding the toad-which was, by the way, still lost. The girl beside him sat with her spine as straight as a rod, and it didn't look comfortable at all. Hermione thought she might have black hair, but it was hard to tell for sure in the dark.

The lake barely stirred beneath their boat as Hagrid called for them to watch their heads as they passed through the hanging ivy. I wonder if we're passing near the Slytherin dungeons, she wondered, then shuddered. How cold it must be, down there in the dark.