15. Come On

"I assure each of you that these activities have been planned to bring you closer together. We can't have inter-pair fighting, after all, can we?"

Nobody laughed at Dumbledore's joke except for himself. Even Draco and Hermione, who got along just fine, had taken issue to this ridiculous proposal. Not the least of it was because it was Saturday, and Hermione had already written up her study schedule for exams. That morning was supposed to be defending oneself against dangerous plants, for Herbology: venomous tentacula, mandrake, and Devil's Snare, to name a few.

"I need to study!" she snapped. Draco rolled his eyes.

"Hermione, you're the smartest person in this entire room. Don't try to tell me you haven't already managed to get every single thing we were taught this year lodged in your head."

Theo, standing close by them with Cassie-really-just-Cassie Runcorn, snorted. "Would you two quit it? We all know you love each other very much."

"Theodore!" said Cassie in horror, almost dropping her ring. "Don't be rude!"

"What? It's the truth."

"We don't love each other, you idiot. Who bothers with that rubbish, except Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and I can't believe I just said that." Draco grimaced, looking down at Hermione's hand, twisting around her wrist and the bracelet he had given her for Christmas. She paused to look up from the dainty golden chain, raising an eyebrow.

"Not bad. But you forgot Snow White."

"I knew that. I was just testing you and your memory."

"Oh, yeah right."

"Mister Malfoy, Miss Granger, if you would please be quiet?"

Hermione blushed and nodded quickly as Draco opened his mouth to produce a scathing retort; how dare this madman address him directly? But she stomped on his foot– hard– beneath the table. His word choice was reduced to a tiny whimper. Somewhere nearby, a Gryffindor laughed.

"Thank you, Miss Granger. Now, where was I? Ah, of course. Today the exercise shall be a scavenger hunt!"

At least a quarter of the first-years groaned aloud at that. "You're kidding," Blaise hissed from beside Padma Patil. "We're not six!"

"Be that as it may, Mister Zabini, I assure you this particular hunt will not be your typical hunt. You will each need a camera, provided by the school," he waved his wand to conjure up a camera within reach of each pair, "an enchanted checklist, so that you know what you have collected," he waved his wand again, "and of course you are each allowed a pen," once more, "and your wands. However, magic is to be kept at a minimum. There will be an additional reward for whichever pair manages to use the least magic."

Hermione grimaced. "Bribery," she muttered under her breath, "again. I'd rather be studying."

"I know," Draco muttered, "and while I agree, I do wish you'd stop talking over the madman."

"There are no time limits except the usual curfew. First finished will, of course, get a reward, as will second and third. Other pairs that finish will receive house points. None of these activities require you to access an out-of-bounds area or to leave the Hogwarts grounds at all. Some of them require logic, some chance, some searching. Any objects that I have not told you of cannot be used to your advantage, unless the object on the list specifically states that you do. Pairs must stay together– yes, even if you do happen to be from different houses, Mister Weasley. None of the clues require you to take a non-house member to your dorm, of that I am certain. Lunch will be served at twelve in the Great Hall, as per usual. Yes, you may have a break to eat lunch, though not everyone, I am sure, will do so.