Beyond Cold Light

He trembled.

Fever wracked him until he floated high above his body wandering aimlessly in the dark room.

Searching.

Looking.

Dying.

Lost.

And alone.

The hole in the mountain far above shone with the light of faint stars. What lay beyond their cold light? What wonders would he find?

A warm breeze lifted him toward the stars and he went willingly. The stars grew ever closer but the blackness surrounding them grew ever longer.

Longer and longer.

He flew for days and days it seemed. Never did the blackness shorten, it only grew until at last it shut off the starlight. He plunged into the despairing depths of the mountain.

Falling.

He saw his body growing closer and closer as he fell. Faster and faster. He screamed.

...

Zaharias opened his eyes, sticky with filth, sweat, and tears. He could feel his breath rattle in his lungs. Each breath brought immeasurable pain as broken and twisted ribs stretched and bent. He closed his eyes in weariness.

So tired.

What he wouldn't give for a moment of ease. Just a moment where every part of his being did not scream for relief. For release from the prison it had become.

He tried to push himself up, one last act of defiance against an unwilling body. His arms quivered and threatened to give out. He refused to fall, knowing that if he did he would never get back up again. Never see the trees he loved so dearly nor the friend whom his dreams followed.

And the message.

Zaharias struggled against the weight of his weariness. Burning tears spilled from his eyes, wetting his hands. He gasped and clutched at the bars of his hanging cell. The cell tilted and swung wildly while he clung to the bars. At long last its careening slowed and Zaharias slumped over, utterly spent. Tears spilled from his eyes and he cursed the day he ever set foot outside of his forest home.
******************************

Hey, uh, so I was nominated by @riansheep for the Literary Awards 2017. They nominated Dragon Nymph and then I nominated Alfýkin for it. So if you guys could please nominate one or both and help me get to the qualifying rounds that would be great and I would be forever in your debt and as payment maybe give Illeandir here a break. Later on when voting opens you have the option to vote on a story, they explain it better. But, ummm, yeah, help me win this? I feel so awkward asking you guys to do this because you've already done so much for me.