The Soldier

Nara sighed heavily and rubbed her forehead. Her coronation had been a quiet affair earlier in the morning with the council and a single priest. The White Guard was also present, standing behind her, along with her own personal bodyguard of five men who followed her everywhere since her father's death. Now she sat in the council hall, still dressed in heavy silks from Rhûn fashioned after the queens of old, listening to another report of the advances of Prince Edros' army.

"This is the third attack on our borders. Word is spreading and the people are becoming frightened. We must take action and push this terror back before it cannot be stop," Lord Drian said. He reclaimed his seat at the lower end of the table.

"What is the extent of the damage wreaked upon our villages?" Jarron asked, he sat next to Nara, feeding her information of the different councilmen and how they operated.

Lord Drian smoothed his robes and spoke in low tones. His face creased.

"Captives have been taken. The villages burned to the ground and few survivors."

"How frequent are these attacks?" Lord Orpher asked.

"It is still too early to tell, Lord Orpher, there have only been three, but more are expected soon," Lord Drian said. As soon as he finished speaking Lord Fain, a thin wiry man with thinning hair jumped up.

"Perhaps three is all there will be. How do we even know the exiled prince is behind this? Attacks like these have been happening for centuries. They stop soon enough after these brigands satisfy their perverse desires and move on, " Lord Fain said. A collective groan met his statement. Nara barely suppressed a grin as she glared at her councilmen. "Even if we were to mount a defence, what generals would be availible? Last I heard you," he pointed to Lord Telmar, "had them holed up in the mountains protecting the border from this invasion you say is inevitable."

"The invasion is preventable if we take action now," Lord Telmar of Osgiliath stood. He was a cynical man, yet his insight over the years had proved invaluable, as much as the others hated to admit it. His military background provided him with a deep understanding of the possible courses a battle or war could take. He was also still a senior general, though close to retirement. Nara trusted him as wholeheartedly as her father had. "It is true though, Lord Fain, my generals are in the mountains resisting attack from Prince Edros' ragtag army. King Hassun fights a civil war on both fronts while we remain trapped among the mountains by Edros' men. The situation, I'm afraid, is more direct than we anticipated. If King Hassun falls there will be no one left to occupy Edros and he will send all his forces at us. For now they are split between our army and King Hassun's. Should either of us fall," Telmar looked gravely about the room, his hard eyes rested on Nara, "Gondor and Rohan will cease to exist."

"How many men does Edros have?" Nara asked.

"Attacking our men now are ten thousand strong. I cannot say for certain how many threaten King Hassun but the number is rumored to be greater. Among those rumors are that orcs work alongside him."

Cries of outrage rang in the room. It was several minutes before Nara could calm them.

"Gentlemen," she chided, "let us be mature about the situation at hand. Let Lord Telmar finish before you fly into a state of panic."

Several men hung their head in shame at being scolded by the queen, whom was half their age. Many wore their anger clearly in their face. Nara motioned for Telmar to continue. He gave her a slight bow.

"The orcs, however, are merely rumor. We cannot be for certain that it is true. As I speak scouts are entering Rohan to either prove or disprove these rumors. We shall have word in a fortnight."