Chapter 29- A Dark 18th Birthday

CHAPTER 29: A DARK 18TH BIRTHDAY

      Most of my 18th birthday was spent in a cold, dismal room.  When they'd finally allowed me to return to my old bedroom, the Death Eaters had jeered at me as Bellatrix roughly dragged me by the arm.  Dirt crusted and cracked, her fingernails drew blood from my skin once more.  I thought bitterly back to that night, but smiled a little bit when I remembered drawing my elbow back, and connecting it to Bellatrix's jaw with a satisfying crunch.

"Sorry, mother." I had sung sweetly.  She'd snarled and raised her wand.

"Bella!" Narcissa had chastised sharply. "Leave her."

  The door was bolted from the outside, and a charm had been put around the manor, so that I couldn't leave without permissions, which obviously, I would never get.  Kept prisoner in the house that I had hated for so many years, I bided my time for well over a year, allowing my rage to keep me from going insane.  Harry Potter was the Boy Who Lived, Voldemort didn't stand a chance against him, this thought bound me to the very real future that loomed ahead of me.  A sharp rap on the window brought me from my thoughts.  Sherlock.

  He'd abandoned me years ago, I didn't blame him, the Death Eaters would have killed him so I couldn't send a warning.  My eyes widened with excitement as I padded over to the window, water streaming down the glass from the rain, as silently as possible, I unlatched the window, and he flew in.  Somehow, he knew not to make a sound.  His claws unfurled and he dropped a wooden stick onto my bed, my wand!  I lunged for it immediately, warmth that I hadn't felt in months filling me as I clutched at my lifeline.  I could fight back.  

  I slipped over to the ebony colored desk in the corner of the room, and pulled out a piece of parchment, emerald green ink, and a quill.  Hastily, I scrawled out a letter.

Dearest George,

      I am so sorry, but for now, there's no time to explain.  The Death Eaters could burst in at any moment.  I want you to know that I am safe for now, and I don't want you to worry.  Please, do not come looking for me, it's not safe.  And I need you to be safe.  Don't respond to this letter either, as comforting as it would be, I can't take the risk that they might find it, and then we're both dead.  Now, I need you to read this very carefully.  

    Harry is in danger.  I've overheard them talking, and the whole of Hogwarts and  even Hogsmeade have been enchanted to alert the Death Eaters immediately of his presence, I've also heard that he's run off with the "mudblood" and the "ginger one", so it'll be difficult to get him this letter, but not impossible.  I have to go.  I love you.

Stay safe,

Iris

This seemed sufficient, and I was just about to seal it, but something felt off.  I then looked at the emerald letters on the page, and huffed angrily.  With a wave of my wand, they were now a deep crimson with the exception of my name, which was a dark gold.  Smiling, I folded it quickly, and made sure Sherlock had it securely in his claws, before opening the window, and shooing him out the window.

"Don't come back, it isn't safe." He hopped over to me, and pecked gently at my hand.  "Bloody bird, go.  George'll take brilliant care of you."  To be honest, I was tearing up a bit.  Sherlock took one last look at me with his inky eyes, and took off into the gloomy evening sky.

~ George's POV ~

      I was sat in the kitchen of the burrow, staring sightlessly out the window above the sink.  The dark gray storm clouds churned angrily above, pressing in, and suffocating the surrounding areas.  Heavy rain, and the occasional clap of thunder were the most eventful things to happen all day.  I sighed, and pushed my now cold tea away.

"Georgie, you need to start eating better, mate.  You're getting too thin." Fred poked me in the ribs, and I swatted pathetically at his hand.

"It's her birthday today." I dropped my head in my hands, and let out a frustrated sigh.  Mum had been looking at me with too much pity over the last week, well the last year to be exact.  

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize."

"Yeah, well, Merlin knows if she's even alive to celebrate it."

"Of course she's alive, tough as nails that one." Fred tried in vain to cheer me up.  An abrupt tap on the window was enough to draw Fred's attention from me.  "Bloody hell." he breathed.  I still didn't bother to look up.  "SHERLOCK!" he bellowed.  My head snapped up and I rushed over to the window, nearly knocking Fred over.  I ripped open the window and he flew inside, circling my head before dropping the letter into my hands and going to perch on the counter.  Unfolding the letter quickly, trying not to tear it, I scanned the words, and then read it again, slowly this time.

"She's alive!  Freddie, Iris is alive!"

"Eh, what'd I tell ya?"

"We need to find Harry."  My twin brother's eyes widened with apprehension.

"May I?" I didn't even have time to respons before he snatched the letter from my hands, and read it, mouth dropping open with surprise.  Iris was alive, but in danger, and I'm not supposed to try and find her.  I scoffed at the idea and looked at Fred.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I'm always thinking what you're thinking, where do we start looking?"