Chapter 23- I Promise

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: I PROMISE

  I pulled back and rested my hands on his shoulders.  He pulled a small red velvet box from a pocket in his robes. He flipped open the box to reveal a ring, my breathing caught in my throat that was closing rather quickly.

"It's a promise ring." he said quietly. It was a thin gold plated stacking ring with a tear-drop shaped blue- grey labradorite gem set in the middle.  It shone in the buttery warmth of the fire.

"I know it's not much..." he trailed off, as I stared in awe at the ring.

"It's perfect." I gave a watery smile, and held up my hand.  George took it and slipped the ring onto my ring finger, both of our hands were shaking. Then without a second thought our lips met in a passionate kiss.  Pulling away, I rested my head in the crook of his neck. His arms were wrapped around my waist and mine planted on either of his shoulders. 

"Best.  First.  Day.  Of.  School.  Ever." I commented. George grinned smugly down at me.

"Agreed." He said. After a while we reluctantly got up to go to bed.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I smiled, kissing him one last time.

"G'night love!" he called after me as I dashed up the stairs.  I knocked on my dorm door and after a few minutes of waiting and knocking, Ginny finally answered, dressed in an over-sized nightgown.

"Hey Gin!" I greeted. She squinted at me, her eyes adjusting to the light. 

"Why are you so late? And what were you doing?" She asked suspiciously.

"Let me in?" I asked. She sighed and let me into our dorm.  Angelina, Amy, and Hermione were passed out on their beds.

"Now tell me." Ginny demanded, sounding too much like Mrs. Weasley. 

"I was with George." I said sheepishly. Ginny's eyebrows shot up.

"Really?! What happened?!" She asked. Hermione began to stir at the volume of Ginny's voice.

"Shhh." I giggled and held up my hand. "He gave me a promise ring." I smiled stupidly, and clasped my other hand over my mouth to keep from manically giggling. 

"Let me see!" Ginny squealed and grabbed my hand and held the ring up to her eyes. "I can't believe the git actually asked you. He hasn't stopped questioning himself since you left." She stated and I blushed a deep red, Ginny smirked.

"YOU LOT! GET UP!" Ginny demanded our dorm-mates.

"What the hell are you on about now?!" Amy grumbled.  

"What do you need, Ginevra?" Hermione spat her full name out with tired angriness.  Angelina just let out a muffled groan. 

"Lumos!" Ginny said, and the room lit up. 

"Urgghh" They all groaned in unison.

"Look! Iris has got herself a promise ring!" With this they all shot up in their beds and clambered down to the ground to sit in a circle with us. 

"Who is it?" Angelina asked stupidly.

"George..." 

"Congrats!" Amy said, her Scottish accent thick with sleep.

"Thanks." I said, turning a deep red. 

"Let's see the ring!" Hermione demanded.  I held out my hand and they all hovered over it. 

"It's beautiful!" Angelina gasped. 

"Thanks." I yawned.

"Nox." Ginny whispered and the dorm fell dark again.  I settled down into my bed and tried to go to sleep, but I was buzzing with excitement. Gradually, my thoughts faded away and I was able to surrender into a deep slumber.

~

Alastor Moody was the worst DADA teacher yet.  And that is saying something.  We had a man with two faces, a wizard so bad he was nearly a squib, and a werewolf (not that I could complain), but this man takes the cake.  He wasn't just teaching us about the unforgivable curses, he was demonstrating them on helpless creatures.  Once class was over I bolted from the room and made my way to the great hall for lunch.  The Gryffindor table was almost packed by the time I found my seat next to George.

"Hey, love!" He greeted, pulling me happily into a hug.

"Hey, George." I giggled. "I'm starved!" I exclaimed, watching the food sprawl out before us.

"You're always starved!" He chuckled as he watched me fill my plate.

During the feast later that night, Dumbledore announced the Triwizard Tournament.  Before I knew it hoards of students from two other wizarding schools had burst into the great hall. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students came pouring into the room. Beauxbatons came twirling around in sky-blue dresses, ribbons and butterflies swirling about them.

Durmstrang thundered into the room, dressed in heavy leather and furs, chanting to the beat of their drumming staffs. Dumbledore introduced both schools as well as their headmasters,  and went on about the Triwizard Tournament.

This was going to be a long year.