three.

13:00
home
— johnny

when johnny gets home, the first thing he does is check his phone. sure enough, his skype app is saying that he's got a notification, so he checks it, and it's the group chat that ten has added him into. he reads the last couple of messages before making his presence known.

group chat
[name change - soft gay > ten]
[name change - grandpa > taeyong]
[name change - takoyaki > yuta]

[doyoung]: ???

[taeyong]: oh thank god
[taeyong]: that was the worst nickname
[taeyong]: anyway tf are you doing?

[ten added jsuh to the chat!]
[name change - jsuh > johnny]

[ten]: guess who found a pharah <3

[winwin]: !!!
[winwin]: :)))

[taeyong]: took you long enough
[taeyong]: who is it?

[ten]: johnny
[ten]: idk much about him
[ten]: wait until he comes back + let him say hi

johnny sits down on the bed, noticing how those messages were sent at around 5am and the chat had been dead since then, despite everyone having seen ten's message. they've been waiting for him and he doesn't know why that makes him nervous.

he messages the chat anyway.

[johnny]: hi

[ten]: there he is
[ten]: say hi

[taeil]: Welcome to the team.

[taeyong]: sup

[winwin]: !!
[winwin]: hello Johnny ! :) <3

[doyoung]: hiiiii!!!!!

[yuta]: welcome to the team man

[donghyuck]: hi johnny

everyone actually saying hi to him in a nice manner makes johnny smile, genuinely. he likes these guys already even though he's only said one word to them.

they speak for a little while, and johnny starts to get to know them and who they play. support players are winwin and taeyong, maining mercy and zenyatta respectively. taeil plays defence and really doesn't care who he plays out of that class. donghyuck plays anyone, but mains reinhardt and bastion. yuta plays hanzo, genji and symmetra. doyoung plays d.va and occasionally pharah. ten himself plays mostly widowmaker.

though the team isn't exactly as diverse as it could be, johnny definitely isn't complaining. besides, with practice he's sure that they could improve considerably and become more comfortable playing other characters.

the chat dies down eventually when most members say they need to go. johnny is scrolling aimlessly through instagram when ten messages him. privately, that is, outside of the group chat. he's not expecting it at all.

private chat [ten + johnny]
[ten]: hey

[johnny]: hi

[ten]: i thought i'd come get to know you a bit so that it's not awkward
[ten]: you know
[ten]: in the chat and all

[johnny]: lmao that's fine
[johnny]: what do you wanna know?

[ten]: idk
[ten]: um
[ten]: how old are you

[johnny]: 20
[johnny]: you?

[ten]: 18

[johnny]: so you're still in school?

[ten]: just barely
[ten]: i graduate soon

[johnny]: cute

[ten]: that's not cute omg
[ten]: where are you from anyway?

[johnny]: america. chicago to be exact. wbu?

[ten]: aaa i thought the name was a bit american-y
[ten]: i'm from thailand. bangkok

johnny blinks at that. bangkok. it must be really late over there, he figures, and he feels kind of bad for keeping ten up — after all he doesn't exactly want to push his own sleeping habits on some other poor soul on the other side of the world.

[johnny]: shouldn't you be in bed?
[johnny]: go to bed

[ten]: fuck off I was just about to go
[ten]: night MOM

[johnny]: yeah yeah
[johnny]: talk tomorrow, yeah?

even though he's basically telling ten to fuck off to bed, he likes talking to him, and he wants to talk more. ten seems sweet, and it's always nice to have people in other time zones to talk to when you can't sleep in the middle of the night.

[ten]: yeah, ill be here
[ten]: night anyway!!
[ten is offline.]

johnny stares at his phone screen for longer than is strictly necessary after ten leaves, and then he drops it onto his chest, pulling a face when a sharp jolt of pain runs through his ribcage at the impact. he doesn't really know what to do with himself now, now that ten's gone and there's nobody to talk to. he doesn't want to message the group chat out of nowhere either, for fear of waking someone up and having them get mad at him.

he lies there in silence for a good long while, almost wishing for ten to come back, but after five minutes pass there's been no notification so johnny gives up. he gets up and goes to do homework instead, like he probably should, and he decides he'll take some sleeping pills afterwards and hope they work.

after all, he can't stay awake forever. neither can ten, he figures.