five.

4:23
home
— ten

private chat [ten + taeyong]
[taeyong]: tenten? why are you active
[taeyong]: it's late you should really go to sleep

ten grimaces when he sees the two messages from taeyong, knowing he means well but really not wanting to deal with his motherly tendencies. of course, he understands that taeyong is concerned for him and his lack of sleep, but really — he could do without taeyong pestering him at such an early hour.

he wants to ignore the message, but knows he'll get kicked out of all the group chats that taeyong owns if he doesn't, as a form of taeyong's petty revenge for being left on read. it's happened before.

[ten]: im here
[ten]: i can't sleep, tae, you know that :(
[ten]: it's difficult

[taeyong]: don't you have medication to help you?

ten remembers he has something like that, but is sure his prescription ran out at least four days ago. he picks up his phone and sets a reminder for later on in the day to pick up his medication, and then he rests his head in his hands, staring down at his keyboard and the blue glow beneath the keys.

he feels a little sick.

there's a soft ding from his computer and ten glances upwards, dismissive, sees that taeyong's sent him a goodnight message anyway, scolding him still and telling him to go to sleep too. ten pays it no mind, just hits the button to close the chat and resumes his distressed position, rubbing his fingers into his temple and sighing through his nose, a long, exasperated sound that almost drowns out the soft 'tick-tock' of his clock on the wall. when he looks up to it, his heart sinks. it's 4:34a.m. and yet here he is, wide awake, and with nothing to do.

aimlessly, he scrolls through his skype contacts to see who is online. almost everyone is inactive, apart from...

johnny.

ten entertains the thought, briefly, of what time it might be for johnny. maybe he's still in school. perhaps he's busy with friends. but there he is, active, and ten finds himself staring at johnny's stupid seven-chinned selfie that resides next to his name for a moment before he brings himself to click on his name and open the chat.

private chat [ten + johnny]
[ten]: you're awake?
[ten]: wanna talk?

for some reason, probably because ten has only known johnny for a few days and is unsure about how he'd react to being messaged again outside of the group chat about something unrelated to overwatch, ten's heart is hammering in his throat. seconds tick by and his message sits, unread. ten knows that, for some bizarre reason, he's being too impatient. it doesn't help.

he's about to turn off his computer and go and curl up under his duvet and hide from the world that he's such an embarrassment to when the little 'read 4:39a.m.' pops up beneath his message, and the three dots pop up that indicate johnny is typing. ten's heart settles down and he leans back in his seat, throwing his hands over his face and exhaling in relief that he hasn't made a fool of himself. or at least, if he has, johnny is about to confirm it so he won't do it again.

there's a soft ding from his computer then, and ten has never sat up so fast in his life apart from the first time taeyong ever messaged him.