The Raid

A few months had passed since Dart had become the king. He was a great king, and all of the dragons respected him. Mora, Dart, and Marrow were now very close. Marrow and Opal were officially mates. Things were going somewhat well in the Dragon Kingdom, except every now and again a group of human soldiers would come and attack the Kingdom. Mora found out that when they had attacked the Human Kingdom, she had killed the Princess and permanently scarred the Queen. She had felt somewhat sorry for the King and Queen. She knew how they felt, and it was her fault they felt that way.

                                                                           ~

Mora sat on the Throne Chair, thinking about the human Princess, and Ammolite. She perked her ears when she saw Opal walk into the Throne Room.

“Hey, Mora.” Opal said.

“Hey, Opal.” Mora said.

Opal walked closer to her and sat in front of the Throne Chair. “It wasn’t your fault, you know.”

“What do you mean ‘It wasn’t my fault?’ I killed the Princess, and now the dragons have to deal with those pesky humans!”

“We’ve dealt with humans before.”

Mora sighed. “I know but…I wish I could’ve thought before I killed her.”

“Yes. Thinking before acting is always nice, but Mora, that’s not why I came. I have good news!”

“What is it?”

“You’re going to have grand - hatchlings!”

Mora raised her head. “What? You’re going to have hatchlings? Oh Opal that’s wonderful!”

“I haven’t told Marrow yet.”

“Well, go tell him!”

Opal nodded and ran out of the Throne Room. Mora smiled, thinking about how happy Opal will be with hatchlings.

Wow, I must be getting old. Mora thought.

She walked over to the nest and laid on her back, her front and hind legs sticking up. She fell asleep for a few hours, and awoke to find Dart staring at her. She jumped up and shook the feathers out of her scales.

“Hi Dart!” she said.

He chuckled. “Hi Mora. I didn’t mean to disturb you.”

“No no no, you didn’t disturb me at all. Did you hear about Opal and Marrow?”

“No. What happened?”

“They’re expecting their first clutch soon!” Mora said.

“That’s great!” he exclaimed, then he sighed. “We’re getting old, aren’t we?”

Mora entwined her tail with his. “Too old for my liking.”

They both perked their ears and looked towards the mouth of the Throne Room when a dragoness named Gem came rushing in.

“Queen Mora! Queen Mora! The humans are attacking! They killed a hatchling and his mother, Orchid, tried to fight the humans all by herself! They killed her!”

Mora gasped. “Gem, get Copper, and gather a patrol and attack them. Bring Marrow. I’ll be there soon.”

Gem nodded and ran out of the Throne Room.

“Dart, will you go with her?” Mora asked.

Dart nodded. Mora rested her nose on his and whispered, “Be careful.”