Winter's Dungeon

“What?” Marrow asked, shocked.

“I have to go rescue her. Alone.” Mora said.

“Alone? No! You can’t!” Marrow said, his voice raising.

Dart looked down at his claws, silent.

“It’s my decision to make, Marrow!” Mora said.

Dart raised his head. “Can we discuss this in the Throne Room?”

“Why? We can talk about it here.” Mora said, stubbornly.

“Just come to the Throne Room.” he looked at Marrow. “We’ll be back.” he turned and flew out of the den, not even checking to see if Mora was following him.

Mora hissed and followed him. She flew into the volcano and followed Dart into the Throne Room.

“Alright…why did you-”

“Are you insane?!” Dart hissed.

Mora stared at him, startled by his tone of voice. “W-what?”

“You can’t go alone! You won’t!” he almost yelled.

“Dart I…I have to. I won’t put anyone I love in danger.”

“But what if you die?” he asked, sounding like a sad hatchling.

“Then you will rule until Marrow’s first daughter is old enough to rule.”

Dart shook his head. “No. No, I can’t let you go alone.”

“Dart, you can’t come. If you were supposed to come, then you’d receive a vision like I did. I’m sorry.” Mora said.

Dart looked down at his claws. “This reminds me of when you chased me out of the cave. I tried to convince you to let me stay, but I knew I never could. Now I’m trying to convince you to let me go with you, and again I know I can’t.”

Mora lowered her ears.

Dart looked up at her. “You should leave soon.”

“Actually I’m going to leave tomorrow. I want to spend the night here.” Mora said.

Dart nodded, not looking at her.

“I’m going to go hunt.” Mora said, turning from Dart.

“Why? Gem brought down a large stag earlier.”

Mora growled. “I don’t care what Gem brought.”

Dart walked up to her and sat down. “Why are you so hostile towards Gem?”

Mora sighed. “Don’t you think she’s acting a little too friendly towards Marrow?”

“You think he’s replacing Opal.” Dart said.

Mora nodded.

“Marrow might fall in love again, but he’ll never replace Opal.”

“I know but its only been a day since her death!”

“He’s just upset. I doubt he even likes Gem that much.” he said.

“I guess you’re right. I’m going to go hunt. Tell Marrow that I’m leaving tomorrow.”

Dart lowered his ears at her last comment. “Alright.” he said.

Mora touched his cheek gently with her muzzle and left the Throne Room. She flew out of the volcano and flew into the forest where Opal was killed. Her body was still there. Mora’s eyes filled with tears as she began to dig a grave for her. When the grave was about seven feet deep, Mora gently pushed Opal’s body into it and began to refill it with dirt. When she was finished, she placed a single white daisy on top of it. Suddenly, she felt very tired. She collapsed on her side, unconscious.