CHAPTER TWO

My name is Patricia Grace. I don't want any pity because both my parents are alive. Am their last child and given two elder brothers.
      I have not always been miserable. I once was happy. I once dreamt like all the others do. I was a princess. My father's princess. He often told me how he prayed so hard for a daughter that he even made an oath to God that he would start living right if he got one.
          The moment I was born, my father's life changed. He who was once a harsh and cruel money lender started softening. He who once threatened poor people and took their properties started giving them a grace and having compassion.
        Father would hold my hand and walk with me as he told me stories. He would often ask me,a very young child, what to do with a certain client. Then he would look down on me smiling and say, your lovely face tells me something. I know what to do.
      We were happy. I knew true love, kindness, and warmth. My mother was a pure soul. She taught me how to give. She gave me heart. My brothers showed me society. They were older and had friends and whenever they went to the grounds to play ball or do boy stuff,I tagged along.
         I grew up a tom boy with the heart of a woman and love from all directions in my life.
For that time, however short it was, life was good. And am ever thankful for that.