A Contractors Smile

As I open my eyes I roll onto my side to see my clock

*4:28 AM*

“Another sleepless night” I think to myself as I roll back and attempt to sleep again… no luck. I pull the still warm sheets off myself and pull my body up from the bed. I trudge my feet towards the mirror and ruffle my short dark blonde hair into a acceptable style, I change into some jeans and a shirt. I grab my katana and notebook from my desk.

I exit my room careful to close the door properly. I produce a small brown envelope from one of the pockets in my jeans

Address: 94 Churchill street  

Time: 16:46

Target: Adrian Maus

Nationality: German

Contractor Ability: Kinetic Manipulation

Obeisance: Bouncing a ball

“Another easy one…” I think to myself as I exit my house. You would have thought that a 17 year old kid walking down a busy street with a katana would attract some attention, it does but since the public found out about contractors people are too scared to approach people like me.                    

I check my watch.

*6:03 AM*

“I’ve got plenty of time to waste” I think to myself as I begin to walk onto the street.  I arrive at a small café it was open but only just. As I walk in the café I look around to see it’s completely baron except for the waitress behind the counter and a girl with long red hair sat in the corner. I sit down in the centre of the café the tables and chairs are wooden but coated in scratches.

“Can I get you anything?” the waitress asks in a soft yet tired voice

“Um... Yeah some tea please” I reply as she approaches me

“That’ll be one pound twenty.” She says as I hand her a pile of coins, she smiles then retreats behind the counter again. While I wait I peer around the café, there isn’t anything of interest but the girl in the corner was gone.

“Hm, I didn’t see her leave” I think to myself as I turn my head to be greeted by the girl sat staring at me from the other side of my table.

“Hey!” she says in a enthusiastic tone.

“What cha doing here so early? NO! Wait that’s rude of me. Oh yeah! My names Misa.” As she speaks I notice she has large round amber eyes and is wearing a long flowing black dress down to her knees.

“You're one of those contractor people with the powers aren’t you?” she questions as she moves her face closer. Without speaking I nod my head, her eyes light up.

“Oh my god that’s so cool!” she says “So what can you do?” I stand up and look towards the opposite side of the café close my eyes, then turn around to the girl.

“Oh wow that was fast” she says as she looks at me from the opposite side of the café.

“I can make things vibrate, just now I made the air beneath by feet vibrate so I can quickly move around” I say as I suddenly appear back in my chair.

“Wow that’s better than mine!” she says and I snappily reply by saying

“What? You, a contractor”

“Haha yeah of course, I’ll show you” as she finishes speaking she waves her hand over a sugar packet on the table. Her eyes light up a crimson red colour and she emanates a blue aurora from her body, suddenly the packet lifts up into the air.

“See? I can make stuff fly!” she says as the waitress arrives unaware what either of us just did.

“There ya go a tea for you and one for you” the waitress says as she places the cups of tea on the table and leaves. Misa quickly takes a mouth full of the tea and swallows it then places it back on the table.

“I didn’t quite catch you name.” she says

“Mark.” I reply

“Ok Mark ill catch cha later!” she cheerfully says as she leaves the café. I pull out my notepad and write down something…

Red hair. Amber eyes. Ability: Change in gravity

I finish writing I check my watch

*8:17 AM*

I finish off the remainder of my tea and leave the café…