Chapter 3

Little Talks- Chapter Three

The rest of the week seemed to fly by, and finally, it was Friday evening. John was running around the kitchen, flour on his hair and chocolate all over his hands...and everywhere else in the kitchen. His parents would kill him if they ever found out. Luckily, they didn't come home until Wednesday afternoon. He had told Pierre and Diana to take the night off, he was seventeen after all, he didn't need a chaperone. It was 7:30, he had told Clara to come over at 8:00. John needed to finish dinner, along with the soufflé he had just put into the oven.

For dinner, he made Clara's favorite, homemade fish and chips. And he even rented '13 Going on 30', an American movie about two best friends who grew up together and eventually fell in love and got married. Maybe that would drop some hints about his feelings for her. Why did he go through all this trouble for a best friend though? Because he wanted to be more than just friends. If only Alex wasn't in the way. He and Clara would be perfect together. He had to show her that he cared about her more than she would ever know. Hopefully this was the way.

Clara arrived at 7:59, a minute early. John opened the door and looked at her. She was wearing a red dress, that ended a few inches above her knees, with short brown boots. Her wavy hair was pulled up into an elaborate bun. She wore a ring on her right hand, along with a couple of bracelets around her wrist. The thing that he loved the most though was her watch. It had multiple clock faces and you could see the time from any angle. He didn't realize it, but he had been staring at her for about a minute. The Clara he left here two years ago had blossomed into the most beautiful girl he had ever seen.

"John?" She asked. "You okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Sorry. Just kinda spaced out there for a mo'." He said, regaining his composure. "Come in."

He walked to the kitchen to finish preparing their meal, and Clara followed him. "You weren't supposed to see this until dinnertime. Oh well. I made your favorite, homemade fish and chips." John explained.

Clara looked on in amazement and stood there, speechless. "You remembered! I can't believe you remembered! And..." She stopped, sniffing the air, "You're making a soufflé, aren't you?"

John stared at the ground and smiled. "Same old Clara. You know me so well. Yes, I'm making a soufflé, but I only had enough to make one, so I hope you don't mind sharing." He stated, blushing slightly.

"Oh, umm, no, I don't mind." She said as she walked out and sat down on one of the chairs in the dining room.

Clara watched John as he plated their food. He hadn't changed much at all. He had pretty much stayed the same, right down to the bow tie. She always loved the way he straightened it at random times, making sure it was perfect. He had the same floppy brown hair and wore the same brown tie-up boots that he had when he left for Ireland. Why didn't he just get a new pair? Well, John was known for being consistent. Maybe that was the reason. But there was something different about him. Not on the outside, but the inside. Clara could see the sparkle he once had in his eyes, was gone.

John walked over to the table, bringing along their meal. He was wearing his usual brown trousers with a white button-up shirt and vest. He must have been confident in his cooking abilities because he hadn't worn an apron to protect his clothes. And yet, he didn't get anything on them. He put down the plates and began the conversation with,

"So, how have you been the past two years?"

"Good." Clara answered. "Got the best grades in the school each year. Joined the cheerleading team and the drama club. I've been the lead in the past three shows. What about you?"

"Wow, I don't know if I can follow that up." John started. 'I've been trying to get used to being back here. It's not easy. You know me, I'm kind of nerdy. Those kinds of people aren't usually liked. I joined the football team in hopes of ending the mocking, but it only made it worse. The football team, despite my skill, ostracized me, never treating me as one of their own. No one stood up for me, not even Alex. He's the captain! He's supposed to be the one to support the whole team. Instead, he joined in! That stupid...' He stopped what he was thinking and just said, "Joined the football team and focused on getting good grades. Not very exciting I'm afraid."

"Well you just won the championship! That's pretty amazing!" She said, trying to make him feel better.

"I guess." They sat in silence until the timer for the soufflé went off. John got up and ran to the oven. He opened it to reveal the best soufflé he had ever made. He smiled at the perfection that he pulled out. He set it down on the counter and shouted out to the dining room, " Just bring your plate out if you're done. I'll take care of it later. For now, just go out to the living room and sit anywhere. I have a movie for us to watch."

Clara set her plate in the sink and walked out to the living room where she sat on the couch. She waited patiently as John prepared the dessert. He brought out a bowl of vanilla ice cream and two spoons. He sat down next to her and started the movie. As they watched it, Clara began to fall asleep. John inched closer to her and eventually, her head was on his chest. She was fast asleep by the time Jenna and Matt had gotten married.

He stood up carefully to take care of the empty bowl and plate. He set her down slowly and took the dishes to the kitchen. John looked at the time. It was already 11:30. Clara was already asleep, why wake her? He went up to the closet and pulled out two blankets and two pillows. He set the pillow under Clara's head and covered her with the blanket. She looked so peaceful. She was so beautiful. So perfect.

John whispered in her ear, " Good night, Clara." He kissed her forehead and set up his makeshift bed on a nearby chair. He didn't want to leave her alone and unprotected. He couldn't risk her getting hurt. Not Clara. His Clara.

He was almost asleep after about an hour of reading and making sure Clara was okay. Maybe she wasn't that much different. She was still fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. John didn't want to ever let her go, but he knew that she wasn't really his. She was Alex's. But one day, maybe she would learn to love him. Of course, that would be the best day ever for John.

Before he fell asleep, he decided that he would ask her something in the morning, and hopefully, she would say yes.