Chapter 42

Lance was still a bit shocked at what happened the day before.

1. Keith tried to kill Starlin.
2. Azalea turned out to be not-so-dead.
3. Starlin, the most stone-faced girl he'd ever met, broke down and started sobbing.

That was the most emotion he'd seen out of her. Ever.

And it hurt him to see her cry.

She broke down because the memory of her little brother hurt her.

Seeing her so vulnerable...

Lance wanted to comfort her immediately.
He wanted to see her strong again.

But at the same time, when she actually showed emotion, she seemed more human.

He was currently carrying her breakfast back to her room for her. Hunk knew she liked pancakes, so he made some especially for her.

When he returned, he found her asleep. He instantly noticed the new marking on the wall next to her bed.

I wonder what all these mean

He sat down at the foot of the bed, causing her to wake up.

She peered out from under her blanket and glared at him.

"I brought you food", Lance smirked. He held the pancakes out teasingly.

She sat up and yawned, her black hair an absolute mess.
"I forgive you, for now."

Lance guessed she managed to change herself, because she was in a pair of black leggings and a matching shirt.

"What are those?", he asked her, referring to the strange mall markings.

"A story for another day", she sighed while munching a pancake, "I'm still trying to figure it out myself, honestly."

"Speaking of stories-", Lance started. He crossed his legs and faced her.
"Tell me one."

She leaned against the wall, tucking her legs to her chest.
She tossed her hair over her shoulder and cocked her head at him.
"What do you want to hear?"

He tapped his chin, thinking.
"Why do you have wings?", he finally asked.

"You know how Azalea can float?"

He nodded.

"All hybrids are supposed to somehow fly, or move in a special way", Starlin said, "Azalea floats, Ferin could shapeshift into something that could fly, and the youngest one, Peter Brandon, could teleport. I was the only one who couldn't. So Haggar had the Druids install retractable wings on me. They not only became my transportation utility, but also an advantage in battle."

"Honestly your wings are pretty cool", Lance admitted.

You honestly look like an angel.

Lance paused to think of another question.

"What were your siblings like, growing up?"

Starlin sighed.
"Growing up wasn't easy. I was a prisoner and experiment of the Empire, but they gave me a bit of leeway since I was Zarkon's daughter. Ferin used to be so kind. I loved him."

Lance sighed when her face darkened with sadness.

"Haggar injected him with a special fluid. They wanted him to be strong and fierce, not kind-hearted. The day he changed.... Was the day I lost my smile."

I can't even imagine the amount of pain she's been through.

"Azalea's birthname was Astrid. She escaped when she was a baby. Ferin always told me that we would find her and be a family, but that was before he changed. Azalea mainly stayed in secure lockdown. I only visited her in my head."

Lance saw her shudder for a moment, then gain clarity again.

"Peter Brandon was the youngest. I was assigned to be his surrogate mother since ours died. I raised him. He was my little ray of joy for three years."

She lifted her wrist so he could see the little burn scar completely.
"This is all I have of him", she said.

Lance patted her arm, only slightly noticing the small flinch she made.
"It's alright, Star."

She nodded solemnly.

Then her eyes pricked up at him.
"Oh, I almost forgot. Piflin told me something in his dream last night."

Lance froze.

Piflin NO.

YOU DID NOT

"He said you liked me."

Lance felt his entire insides turn inside-out.

YOU ARE SO DEAD, KID.

What should I say?!?

I guess it's now or never-

"Y-yeah", Lance stammered.
"I do like you."

Starlin patted his shoulder.
"I enjoy you as a companion too", she said.

What-

Is she-

IS SHE THAT FLIPPING OBLIVIOUS OH MY GOD

Lance laughed nervously.
"Yeah... As a companion..."