Chapter 6: The Heart's Will

CHAPTER 6: THE HEART'S WILL

"Stupid..." Dunk.

"...stupid.." Thunk.

"Stupid." Dink.

Ace stood at the wall of his isolation room, punching the cool bricks with frustration. He didn't know how long he had spent locked up in here. Minutes? Hours? Days, even? But he still couldn't forgive himself.

His temper got to the best of him, and just like that, his only friend in this camp had been taken away from him. "I could've told her the truth... I could've gotten her to change, to try and stop this stupid Project.. Gah, stupid!" He punched the wall once more, his fist balled up tightly with rage.

He knew the truth about hybrids, he knew that they weren't "created." But sadly, he was the only one. Everyone else's minds had been Swiped, leaving them without memories of their past lives, lives that they all deserved.

Especially Heather... She deserves so much more than this.. She's so sweet, and kind... She was actually willing to listen to me.

Suddenly, the door to the isolation room opened, letting in the seemingly blinding light from the hallway. A stocky figure stood in the doorway, keys dangling from the belt on his hip. Ace held his hand up to block the light, watching with narrow golden slits as the figure shut the door behind him, and switched on a dim light. It gave off a faint glow, but it was just enough for him to make out who stood before him.

The Headmaster.

The human man looked cross, and very displeased, hands balled into fists just as Ace's were. He spoke, his voice a low grumble. "What you did last week was unacceptable. I saved you from the Swipe for a reason, but if you reveal the truth, I'll have no choice but to go back on my word. I've given you so many chances Ace!"

Ace spoke through gritted teeth, his wings flapping once in anger. "She deserves to know more than anyone here! That castle will ruin her, turn her into something she's not! We don't deserve this life and you know it. Father."

The Headmaster gulped, taken aback. The ill-tempered crow hadn't addressed him as 'father' for quite some time. It was strange, yet assuring to hear it once again. "Do not use that against me, Ace... I did what I did to protect you. Because I still love you, despite everything that happened in the past. In my eyes, you are still my bright young son, strong and brave, willing to stand against the tyranny of--"

The winged hybrid flapped his wings once more, letting out an infuriated caw, "Save it! If you loved me, you wouldn't have given me up to the Project! You only think about yourself, and you've kept everyone in the dark for too long. And that's about to change."

In a dark flash, Ace crossed the room and grabbed his father by the collar of his shirt, keeping him from grabbing his gun by enclosing him tightly in his broad black wings. He brought up his elbow and jabbed it harshly into the side of the Headmaster's head, sending it lolling back as the stunned man fell unconscious.

Ace panted, letting his captive fall to the floor in a heap. A week... I've been in here for a week. That means Heather's been at the castle for a week too. I can only hope that they haven't gotten to her mind yet... It's time to get moving.

Ace bent down to his father on the floor, eyes watering slightly as he stared at him. I'm going to right the wrongs of this country, father. And once I do, I'll come back to you. But for now... I have to save the girl I've hopelessly fallen for.

With that, the crow hybrid snatched the ring of keys from the Headmaster's belt and stood, fiddling with it until he found what he was looking for: the Master Remote. The holder of the remote had complete control of the camp, able to give commands to any working machine in the facility.