Chapter 72

"Daniel!"

I shook him and he opened his eyes. He groaned in pain and closed them again.

"No, no. Stay awake, hey!"

He shifted uncomfortably and I felt my heart shrivel with fear. I examined the wound.

"It's okay, it's not lethally deep. You'll heal. You'll be fine, Daniel. You're an Archangel." I spoke fast, trying to convince myself as well.

"I can't heal." He hissed and threw his head back, clearly in pain. "That son of a b*tch!" He screamed and the guy who stabbed him, his body immediately combusted.

I smiled weakly and gulped. "See?" I chuckled lightly and grabbed his arm. "Your power is intact, you'll not die."

I could still feel my muscles shaking. I grabbed his hand and warmed it.

"This may help?"

He shook his head and tried to get up. "We have to move, gun shots.. too loud.. they-ey ah!" He stumbled and I supported him.

"I don't think you should move." I said, concerned.

"They'll come for me!" He gasped and I realised. He's right, they'd want to kill an Archangel over anyone else and the gunshots were enough to attract attention.

He panted and groaned as he stood up with my support. "Let's leave." He whispered.

I grabbed his waist and he leaned in for support. "Careful, alright? Don't rush. Deep breaths. You're okay."

"Yeah, yeah." He chuckled and then grunted. "I'll f*cking kill him." He said distastefully.

"I already did. Now shut up and focus on healing."

"It'll drain me. I can't.. I need Sadie."

We kept walking and a chill ran down my spine at his words. Sadie.. who knows where she is. If she's alive, what if we don't find her in time?

I shook my head. No. Don't think like that.

We slowly kept stumbling forward, Daniel had his neck scarf pressed on the wound to stop bleeding. The mark on my ankle was still cold.

"When I-I was near you, I uh, I felt the mark heat up. And even when he.. you know.. it hurt me. Is it because of the link?" I asked, keeping my gaze ahead.

"Yeah. Sadie and Alex must've felt it too when he f*cking drove a knife through me!" He groaned.

I looked up at him. He was panting and his voice indicated his clear pain.

"Means they're both unharmed because I didn't feel anything yet.." I trailed off, not saying it directly.

"Yes, they're okay." He said and then slowed down. "I.." He shook his head. "Something's wrong."

I frantically looked around. Every essence of life in me was drying. Then I frowned.

"Is that a.. tree?" I whispered unbelievingly.

"What?" He looked up. "What the hell?"

There was literally a tree just standing there in the middle of the corridor. There was a huge hole on the roof through which the tree grew. Sunlight came inside as a beam, illuminating the nearby area.

"I swear it wasn't there a minute ago." I studied it carefully. "Is it another threat?"

"I don't know." Daniel cried.

I instantly turned to him with worry. "Are you okay?"

He shook his head slowly and screwed his eyes shut but said, "Yes, I am."