i. luka & cat

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

                                                   i. luka & cat

                      song of the chapter // sadseasong – a fine frenzy.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

  the glow of daylight was cutting through the canopy of trees nestled atop the forest, sinking into their skin like stones as they lumbered over a bed of dead leaves. strands of pink hair twirled around luka’s head with the gentle sway of the wind, soft like shreds of cotton candy.

  “i miss this,” murmured cat. she tucked a loose dark tendril behind her ear, cursing herself for not putting her hair up in a braid this morning. a low branch snagged on the shoulder of her blue sweater, yanking at a string that promptly came loose. cat huffed indignantly and tried to carry on, groaning when she stepped in a small clump of sodden leaves, squelching beneath the soles of her boot.

  a few steps ahead, luka twisted around to shoot her friend a pointed look.

  “okay, maybe i don’t miss the whole nature part of it,” cat amended. a laugh bubbled from luka’s lips as the candy-haired girl continued to walk. “i miss hanging out with you in these woods. remember when we used to come here when we were like, super little?”

  luka giggled lightly. “our parents would get so pissed whenever we came back inside with muddy shoes and grass stains on our clothes.”

  “one time, i came home with a twig stuck in my hair and my mom nearly had an aneurism.”

  “ah, barbara always was pretty uptight, though,” luka said through an exaggerated sigh.

  “on a first name basis with my mother?” cat returned, eyebrows raised.

  luka grinned, all white teeth and baby pink lips. “always.”

  the two continued to carefully tread (or, in cat’s case, stagger) through the woods for a couple more minutes, finally encountering their destination. luka came to an abrupt halt the moment she laid her eyes upon it, causing cat to promptly walk straight into her back, stumbling away a couple steps before she righted herself.

  “look,” luka exclaimed. “we’re here!”

  cat pushed herself onto her tiptoes to peer over her friend’s shoulder. the creek looked smaller than it used to, probably because they were years older and inches taller now. sunlight caught on the surface of the stream leisurely coursing down the gap between trees. the water glistened, sparkled, and beckoned them forth. overcome with a rich wave of nostalgia, cat felt almost feverish with excitement, and so did luka, but both for different reasons.

  still gazing at the familiar scene before them, cat let her chin rest on her friend’s bony shoulder, soft tufts of luka’s bubblegum pink hair tickling cat’s ear and jaw. “miss you,” cat murmured, breath hitting luka’s skin in silent puffs of cool air.

  luka pretended she didn’t hear her. 

                                                   x   x   x   x   x

    hiiiiii. so majority of these chapters will be short like this one, maybe longer, maybe even shorter, who knows. like i said before, the writing style and format of this story are different than my other stories. thank you so much for reading. feedback would make me the happiest person in the world. i love you all a lot. <3

    – fiona