ii. george & luka

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

                                                ii. george & luka

                           song of the chapter // basic space – the xx.

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

  by the time george got to the library, luka was already there, perched on a tiny red chair in the children’s section that was probably meant for six-year-olds. she was hunched over a weathered copy of goodnight moon, prompting george to immediately roll his eyes as he dragged over a beanbag chair and plopped into it. the librarian ignored them both from her desk, accustomed to the two teenagers’ weekly routine by now.

  luka looked up from the children’s book and frowned at him. her lips were coated in a shimmering layer of red gloss, pursed and shiny. george forced himself to not focus too hard on it.

  because george knew luka. he knew her and he’d trained himself to not notice how sweet her blushing cheeks were, or how delicate her long eyelashes looked, or how warm and bubbly her laugh sounded. he knew her.

  “that book again? really, luka?” george admonished, his tone teasing but good-natured.

  her face morphed into a half-hearted scowl. “it’s my favorite, you know that. and it’s your favorite too. don’t even deny it.”

  he didn’t deny it because, well, luka knew george too. “i wanted to try reading peter pan this week, though,” he said instead, voice climbing towards a whine.

  “well, tough shit. suck it up, buttercup.”

  a couple minutes later, when luka was calmly reading on page five, george leaned a bit closer.

  nosed at her bicep.

  murmured, “are you okay?” with more than just a touch of concern. he aimed his most imploring blue eyes at her and waited, even though he knew what she was going to say anyway.

  luka paused in her reading, letting her gaze flick over to her friend’s face. “are you?” she shot back, her expression hardening into something less friendly and more closed-off, withdrawn.

  george tugged at the sleeves of his hoodie and averted his eyes to glare almost blankly at the fishtank in the corner of the library.

  neither of them received an answer.

                                                   x   x   x   x   x

    i was still in a writing mood, so i got this down and wanted to post it. so yay, two updates in one day, even though no one really cares about this story. oh well. i like it. i have shit planned for it, so. the chapters really are super short, though. hope you liked it anyway. love you. <3

    – fiona