Chapter Eight: Men, Pathetic, Impossible

Chapter Eight:

Run. The word was so simple, so delicious. I once hated it and now I love it. Run...Freedom, so closely related that it was impossible to figure out the difference. I turned to look behind me, nothing. No sign of my pursuer anywhere. 

The wind pushed me from behind, whispering: Run, pick up your legs and race. Feel the wind on your face and do not let the shrubs or branches stop you. 

I laughed and pressed on harder. 

“Rose!” Robin, my brother now of eighteen years, called out. 

I smiled and pulled myself up a giant oak. Robin jumped over a bush and I had to hide my laughter. Pulling a dull arrow out from my sling I aimed at my brother’s chest. 

I took a deep breath, one...two...three...

Robin’s head snapped up. 

Damn! He found me! I growled and let my arrow go. Robin dodged it easily and within seconds released an arrow from his bow as well. I yelped and jumped down one branch. No sooner had I landed safely when his second arrow poked my shoulder.

God damn it!

My eyes narrowed as Robin fell to the ground, laughing hysterically.

“Oh, ye rotten pig!” I shouted.

Robin paused then continued with his howls. I rolled my eyes and swung down the tree, colliding purposely on my brother.

“Rose!” Robin choked out, breathless from my landing and from his laughter.

I giggled and rolled off him.

“Ye win agin,” I mumbled, half lighthearted and half annoyed.

“I always do,” he said in an arrogant tone.

With my heel, I kick his shin. 

“Ow!” Robin stood up from the ground, rubbing his injured leg.

“Ye such a baby!” I said with a smile on my face. Robin stuck his tongue out as Aden finally emerged from the forest, breathless and tired.

I tried to swallow back my laughter, but I could not. Aden’s auburn hair stood up at all angles, his pants covered with mud and leaves, and his face drenched in sweat.

His face grew redder as my laughter reached his ears. Cursing at himself, he sat next to Robin and avoided my stare. 

“So what was it ye wished te tell us, Aden?” Robin said seriously, but there was no mistaking the gleam of amusement in his eyes. I bite my nail to hide the rest of my sniggering.

Aden blinked, confused for a second.

“Can’t remember?” Robin chuckled, patting Aden’s back as he laid back down on the ground.

Aden shook his head, “Nay.”

“So? Wha’ is it?” I asked, stretching my arms and back before laying on top of Robin’s stomach.

“It’s tat--um--Ye b-both may skin me...alive,” Aden faltered.

“Try us,” I replied nonchalantly, grabbing Robin’s cap and covering my face.

Now is a perfect time to nap.

“Tis ‘bout te Sherif.”

My heart clenched, just as I felt Robin’s body tense. The good mood I had moments ago was now gone--lost in the wind. We waited for what Aden had to say, and if he didn’t say it soon. I would personally ‘skin him alive,’ as he put it.