Chapter Ten: Ruby Red

Chapter Ten:

My heart froze, its last echo resonated in my head. I let out a small gasp and watched in horror as the deer fell, soon surrounded by a pool of scarlet blood. My stomach clenched and I wanted to hurl. Robin pulled his bow down and turned to face Aden with the brightest smile on his face.

“Will ye look a tat!” He shouted with pure joy.

I winced.

“Never doubt’ ye,” Aden laughed, slapping Robin on his back.

I closed my eyes and moaned, feeling dizzy.

Those idiots!

“Ha!” cried Robin has he directed himself to the ursine man, “did ye like te shot? Shall I do ano’er fer ye? I wan te wager. Give me wha’ is mine.” 

The ursine spat of the floor, cursed, roared with rage; like an animal ready to charge, “Nay, thy wager is false. We never shook on the motion, and by God, thee better leave me sight! Or thy’s ruby red will be the next blood on this land.”

My eyes snapped opened in a second. 

Robin was red with fury, as were the other foresters.

“Ye said me sixty rods ain’t enough, I jus’ gave ye mer than sixty rods. Ye coward! Pay up!”

The ursine bared his teeth and pulled a dagger out from his belt, his previous jocosely manner gone.

“Thine wager is off. Thee shotest our dear King’s deer! Thou shall be put up to death! To Nottingham’s Gallows above Golgotha!”

My head jerked up the minute the place of a skull was mentioned and my insides were ablaze with fire.

“No! Ye lis’en te me, ye big, vile, ugly, bear!” The ursine man took a step back, shocked, as his retinue’s jaws dropped. “He ain’t going te a go to Golgotha. By the love of God, he goes an’ I die. If ye wan’ te go an’ tell te sheriff then ye go an tell. But believe me, ye good-for nothing drunkard, ye lay un han’ on me brother and I promise, by all the saints of heaven, I’ll baste yer tiny little legs ‘til ye cannot walk anymore!” I vociferated

The ursine’s beady eyes narrowed, scrutinized my appearance, and for a moment appeared to be acknowledging my ebullition--that was until he laughed.

I clenched my hands and was about to swing at him with my fist, but Aden caught me around my waist. My body shook with rancor and I let out a short shriek in frustration. The ursine continued to snicker, recovering his prior gay feelings. A man, to the left of the ursine came forth and in between laughs said:

“Knowest thou, girl, that thou brother hast killed the--”

“The doe, yes I saw! I saw, ye indolent drunks!” I shouted as I interrupted the man with tears clinging to my eyes. 

Who wa he te open hi’ big mout’, anyway? Tey all just bunch of drunken bast--

“Ro!” Robin and Aden hissed.

 I hiccuped and felt my face turn a deep shade of gules.  

Had I spoken my thoughts out loud?

“Catch him, before the young lad flees!” A third barked while he stared icily in my direction. So I gladly returned a glare at him.

“I ain’t gonna flee!” Robin growled as the wind picked up, heightening our flame of wrath.

“Girl, behold my word,” the ursine snarled and took a step towards me, breaking my staring competition with his minion, “thy brother’s life shall end in a tragedy.”