Last Night Of Summer (Eight Months Before)

It was the last day of summer and I was mourning it. I was unluckily back at my dorm and could already see coming the familiar feeling of getting punched in the stomach repeatedly by my alarm clock the next morning.

I was with my two best friends, Cassie and Jane, who were also my roomates. We were all sitting around on the floor catching up and eating caramel popcorn. Two years prior, talking around some of Jane's special homemade popcorn was what made us bond, so we liked to do it everytime we came back to school.

We had been listening to Cassie going on and on about her summer boyfriend and how he was a swimsuit model, when she suddenly stopped herself. She looked at both Jane and I, and we looked back at her expectantly.

I tossed some popcorn at her. "Why did you stop talking?"

"We should go to the party tonight. I heard some girls say they managed to sneek more booze in than the years before."

"No way. We are not the kind of people that go to that kind of party. It sounds boring, anyways"

"Come on, Tori! We can totally be that kind of people if we want to. It will be a great way to meet new people."

"But it's our tradition to stay in and chat. We've been doing the Catch Up Night ever since we met." I sighed. Was this really necessary? "Do you really want to throw it away for some lame party?"

"It's not just some lame party, it's the best party Keelsey Raymond High has all year. At least that's what everyone says."

"So what if everyone says it's a great party? We don't go to parties."

"But..." She looked around and frowned, her grey eyes moving from place to place. That was her typicial thinking face.

"But..?"

"I know!" She said smiling. "You could talk to the new cheer captain. Act friendly so she considers you more than the others that are going to try out."

The cheer squad had been a dream of mine ever since we started high school, but every year they turned me down. They mostly prefered juniors and seniors, only choosing the best freshmen and sophomores. Since I was becoming a junior that year, I was secretly hoping they would actually consider me.

"I don't want to be chosen because I'm nice, I want to be chosen because I'm good."

"But it would help anyways. If she knows you, she'll know you're a good addition, not only sports-wise, but vibe-wise. "

"Yeah, maybe."

After that Cassie looked at me and I looked at her. We got into a sort of staring contest. The room was totally silent, except for Jane's chewing as she watched us. She probably felt like she was watching a movie.

"Are you seriously fighting about a party?" Jane said eventually, finally joining in on the argument. She had probably gotten bored of our nonscense.

"I don't like parties. As far as I knew neither of you liked parties either; and now Cassie suddenly wants to go to a party? It doesn't add up, Jane."

"Come on, Tori! Don't you want to do something exciting?" Cassie said, turning to point at Jane. "I'm sure she agrees."

"You know what?" I said defeatedly. "I think since you want to go and I don't, Jane should decide. After all, she does think this argument is stupid."

Jane looked at me, and then at Cassie. Both of us had expectant faces, hoping she would side with us. Then she looked at me again, and her brown eyes became apologetic. "I think we should try something new, go to this party and see what it's like. We've never gone and I have heard it's a pretty good way to say goodbye to summer."