the rules

[RILEY MATTHEWS]

Farkle talked to the workers as if they were his pals, I was also being stared at as if I was fresh meat.

Farkle lead the way to the room. Every now and then he would look back at me with a giddy smile.

Farkle opened a door and walked in, I followed.

I saw a boy all corded up, I didn't want to look at him... it felt wrong.

"Hey older bro!" Leo sat up better and smiled. He has an adorable smile.

"Leo!" I watched as the two exchanged hugs.

"you must be the Riley Matthews?" Leo looked at me and I nodded turning a red shade. I put my hand out and Leo shook it. "you're even more gorgeous than Farkle described." It was quiet in the room. I had given Leo the most loving stare I think I've ever given. I caught myself admiring the boy so much.

"Leo." Farkle had his arms crossed over his chest.

[FARKLE MINKUS]

"okay right, I'll stay strictly on the rules." Leo rolled his eyes at me.

"wait what rules?" Riley asked then looked at me.

"oh! Farkle made me follow some rules in order for you to hel-" Leo began to say. I quickly cut him off by covering his mouth.

I told Leo that he would have to follow some simple rules in order for Riley to help with his bucket list. The rules were "don't fall in love with Riley, don't hit on Riley, don't scare her away" and things along the lines of that.

"Farkle?" Nurse Kelly interrupted. "may I talk to you out here for a moment?" I looked at Riley and Leo and they were having a conversation so I nodded and walked out. "I know you have been trying your hardest to find a way to bring Leo out of the hospital, and I think we can do it."

"wait really?" I asked in excitement.

"yeah, we just need to do some quick tests on him just to make sure that he is for sure ready." Kelly had her hands clasped together. I looked back at Leo and Riley. Leo looked genuinely happy.

"sounds good, thank you." I replied. Kelly walked away quickly and I stood in the hall comprehending what just happened.

"hey, you okay?" I heard from behind me. I turned around and saw Riley checking up.

I looked down at her realizing how short she was compared to me. "yeah, I'm good." a small but powerful smile appeared on her face.

• • •

"damn it." Riley cursed as she died in mortal combat again. Leo laughed while feeling the victory. It was weird to see Leo genuinely happy for once. It made me think all the other times that he was playing some act.

"Leo you're supposed to let the girl win." I nudged him. I felt a pair of angry eyes staring at me. Riley was not happy with that comment. "never mind!" I took it back shortly after

a knock was heard at the door. We all looked up. "sorry to interrupt but, Leo it's time for your check ups and cat scan."

I looked at Leo and saw the hurt in his eyes. He was having a good time and now it's done. "Can I say my goodbyes first?" He asked Amy, and she nodded respectfully. "Bye bro, I'll see you tomorrow?"

I nodded and could tell Leo wanted me to walk away so that he could say something to Riley privately but I'm not leaving the two.

"Riley thank you so much, I can't wait to see you again." Leo smiled and I bit my lip. She kissed his cheek. SHE KISSED HIS CHEEK.

"it was nice meeting you, Leo." She smiled. I didn't know what to do, it was awkward for me since the two were clearly flirting in front of me.

"c'mon Riley, Neal is waiting outside." I said so that I could get the two away from each other. She nodded and I lead the way.

"Riley..." I said as we walked out into the cold winter air, she looked up at me. "thanks... I could tell Leo was happy and feeling better."

"you're welcome I'm happy to hel-" she began to speak while wrapping her arms around herself to keep warm.

"no but I don't think you understand, I genuinely gain so much joy from seeing Leo smile and laugh when he hasn't in a while. I know it was a weird thing to ask from you but I couldn't have picked anyone better." I cut her off. My heart was pouring out, Riley smiled making me warm up in this winter air.