Chapter 4: The Letters

The Host Club had graciously taken care of all the decorations. The only thing asked of Ume was to make some traditional Cuban dishes, as that's where her mother's from. Her father and mother had met in Spain, when her father was on a business trip.

Haruhi stands in the kitchen, assisting Ume however she can, with the Host Club sitting at the breakfast bar and watching the two girls at work. Ume wears jean capris and a tight black t-shirt.

Ume watches the black beans carefully, ever so often stirring it or fiddling with the flames beneath the pot. "What's with the sugar?" Haruhi questions, her head tilting. Ume smiles, "It's like a secret ingredient, it gives the beans an extra kick and it's delicious." Ume says proudly, her eyes sparkling as she answers. Haruhi nods in understanding watching as Ume brings the pot to a boil for a second time.

"How do you know how to cook?" Tamaki inquires, his voice suggesting it's some long lost art. "I'm not a lazy dick head, that's how. I get we're rich, but by no means does that equal having the right to sit around on our lazy asses. If anything, we should work twice as hard as anyone else to prove we've earned our place in our precious comfortable living." Ume growls in response, giving Tamaki a glare that sends him into submission. Ume turns back to Haruhi, Haruhi giving her a look of approval with her small meaningful smile. Ume returns it.

"What makes you feel like that?" Hikaru and Kaoru ask in sync. "My mother raised me that way. She's from Cuba, and the financial situation there isn't exactly the kindest in the world. That's how she feels and that's what she taught me to feel." Ume explicates over her shoulder. Ume begins cutting up a green bell pepper with a rather large knife.

"Well, I suppose women should know how to cook-" Tamaki is cut off by the knife Ume was using flying past his face, making him shriek as he ducks out of the way. Ume glares, one of her eyes twitching. "You really don't know when to shut up, do you?" Ume fumes dangerously low at Tamaki. Tamaki simply stays frozen, starring on in shock. "Say something like that again and I'll press your face against the burner, understood?" Ume questions. Tamaki quickly nods his head, attempting to hide the fact that the rest of him is shaking.

"Cooking is a basic human skill! Everyone should know how to cook at least one dish! But I bet you wouldn't even know how to pour a bowl of cereal!" Ume barks as she grabs another knife and begins slamming the knife down on the pepper. Haruhi quickly takes the knife from her, deciding to help her cut up the pepper while saving Tamaki from getting stabbed.

"Ume, you made a hole in the wall." The twins announce in unison. Ume jogs around the counter, meeting the twins and seeing where the knife now sits comfortably in the wall. Ume groans and walks off down the hall. The twins begin poking and prodding at the knife while Tamaki almost passes out realizing that could have been his head. "Mommy!" Tamaki shouts, forcing a hug upon Kyoya. Kyoya just sits, his face flat as Tamaki cries. "Impressive." Mori remarks, making Honey nod in agreement.

Ume re-enters carrying a small container of plaster, a small bucket of paint, a paint brush, and a butter knife. Everyone backs away from Ume as she yanks the knife from the wall and surveys the damage. She grabs the small container of plaster and butter knife, she fills in the hole, making sure it's completely flat. Hikaru, Kaoru, Honey, and Tamaki all look on in amazement as Ume closes up the small container of plaster. Ume turns around, her eyes flat as she scans the shocked expressions.

"You're so cool, Satomi-chan!" Honey exclaims, sitting comfortably on Mori's shoulders. A small scowl appears on Ume's face but she finds herself unable to say anything rude to Honey. Ume returns to the kitchen, carrying the knife at her side. She walks to the sink and rises the knife off before tossing it in the dish washer. She walks back over to the beans and tastes a bit. Ume smiles, "The beans are done." Ume announces. Tamaki and the twins cheer as they had been waiting around two hours. "Haruhi, want to try some?" Ume inquires, grabbing a small spoonful and holding it out to Haruhi's mouth. Haruhi stares at the beans with wide eyes before opening her mouth and eating it. Everyone goes silent, waiting for Haruhi's reaction.