Chapter 6 - Ten Years

"So are you gonna come then?" Liv's voice sounded out from Will's phone, barely concealing the excitement and anticipation that she felt about Will's possible return home. It hadn't been that long since she'd last seen him - they did Skype each other every other week - but seeing him in the flesh, back at home, was a whole lot better than seeing him on a screen.

Will was silent as he thought it over, staring intently at the innocent little invitation which sat on the table in front of him, causing him more grief than it should've been. He really wasn't sure what he was feeling about it, if he wanted to go or not, if it was worth the time, money, and effort to fly all the way back home just for this?

It was only just a silly 10 year high school reunion, after all.

"I don't know, guys, I-" his protests began, only to die off as Will felt someone's hand come from behind him and cover his mouth to stop him from talking. 

"Shhh, we're not gonna listen to your silliness," Kimi cut him off, only taking her hand away when Will began to lick it. "We're both going!" she announced to Liv on the phone, stating it as if Will had no say in the matter anymore, as she wiped her wet hand on Will's t-shirt. 

Will began to grumble, cursing the day he thought it was a good idea to give Kimi a job out here in California.

It had been about 4 years after Will had left for LA and Kimi had come for a visit, mainly to get away from her overbearing family and the pressures back at home. She'd spent the four years after high school flip-flopping through courses at university, never really finding anything that fit her or what she wanted to do for a living. Her parents, tired of her indecision, gave her an ultimatum: finish the course she'd just started or get out and work out her life on her own. Unfortunately, Kimi had just started dentistry, only to learn about the gross things that can and would go wrong inside the human mouth that she would have to deal with. 

Messing around in people's mouths each and every day was a life she just couldn't deal with, no matter how big the paycheck. 

But with her parents' ultimatum, she was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

That was until Will talked to Dale about Kimi's problem. Being the mother hen he'd always been with this group of teens, Dale offered Kimi a job at his studio. He was looking for a new assistant to replace Will who had just been promoted to a role that was more exciting and less stressful that fetching the redhead his complicated Starbucks orders and making sense of the clutter and disorder that seemed to follow Dale everywhere.

Kimi, still well aware what Dale was like, was reluctant about taking the offer. But after considering what she had to return to, she decided that maybe working for Dale wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be. 

Of course, it ended up being bad as she thought it would be, sometimes worse than she'd ever thought imaginable, but at least she didn't have her hands in someone else's mouth - well, except for that one time, but she'd blocked that out of her memory and she and Dale never spoke of it ever again.

And so, Will and Kimi had been living together for the last 6 years or so, neither really sure what they were doing with their life - even if they pretended that they were - as they stumbled through adulthood, only knowing that they were happier here than back at home. 

"Oh yay!" Livi almost squealed in delight at Kimi's confirmation.

"Oh, settle down, Liv," Will grumbled, still not agreeing to even going. "What's even the point in going? Cash's wedding is like two months after this stupid reunion, it's not like you don't know when we're coming home next."

Kimi just rolled her eyes, as if what Will had just said was the most idiotic thing she'd ever heard. "Oh c'mon, Will, we talk about the reunion all the time!" she pointed out, reminding Will of all the times they'd discussed going back to see how everyone turned out after 10 years: who'd gotten fat, who was married (and divorced), who had kids, who was hot now. Sure, Facebook did a good job of doing that for them already, but there was a part of all of them that wanted to head back to their school's gymnasium and just drunkenly talk shit about the people they didn't like 10 years ago.