Chapter 4

With the data stuck under my arm, I'm making my way into Max's garage. I greet the team members around me, who are already working on the car.

I just go and stand in front of the monitors, spreading the data around to start figuring things out for the last session. I made some notes on what I want Max to practice, so I don't have to look through them again.

"Hey, Mackenzie" I look up to see Tyler walking in. Tyler is part of the pit crew. He's a super sweet guy.

"Hey, Tyler. What's up?" I grab a headset and put it around my neck again. Tyler smiles at me, just nodding his head. Before he can say anything, someone calls him over. He just waves at me, walking away. I turn back to the notes I have laying around.

"What's up, Mackenzie?" I look up from the sheets to see Max in front of me, smiling brightly. He is looking ready and excited as well.

"Hey Max. How are you this morning?"

"I'm good, ready to get back into the car"

"That's good. You can, though. You're needed in the car in 5 minutes" Max nods, looking at one of the huge monitors in the garage, which shows the local time, the amount of time left until a next session and during a session the amount of time that is left in that session.

"Any last minute notes?" Max asks. I nod and grab the sheet with my notes.

"Try watching the amount of pressure you put on the brakes into turn one. In some laps, you brake to harsh, causing your tyres to block and that makes your tyres wear off faster. Also, try going around more smoothly. If you keep your speed down just slightly before a slow corner, you go in and out smoother, which is time winning. Lastly, I want you to practice the qualifying pace, as I think your long runs look amazing. I do believe you can go faster than yesterday" Max just keeps nodding his head at everything I say.

"Is turn 1 the only problem with the brakes?" I nod, showing him the data of that corner. Sometimes, 3% of his tyrewear is lost in that corner.

"Alright, I'll try to master it" I nod at that, letting him go get ready. I grab an empty piece of paper and a pen. Together with my data from yesterday, I make my way to the pitwall.

"Good morning, Mackenzie" Simon says, sounding happy. He smiles widely at me, causing me to copy that gesture.

"Good morning. What got you so happy?"

"Daniel was extra happy this morning, which makes me happy as well" I just smile, mostly because of the mention of Daniel's name. I really did enjoy his company last night.

"Well, I hope for you that Daniel stays happy after this session" Simon just chuckles and nods. I get everything ready for the session, as the time starts. One hour of practice, I can do that.

---

After the practice was done, qualifying is next. That is always a bit more stressfull, and I don't know how Max will do. This weekend is so hard, for the both of us.

"Mackenzie? What do you need me to do?" Max pulls me out of my thoughts, standing in his race suit next to me.

"Don't push too hard right away. In the Red Bull, you should be able to get through Q1 easily, but don't take it too easily. Set a good enough time so we only have to do one run. We'll talk after for Q2 and 3" I explain. Max nods and smiles.

"I'll try my best" he tells me before walking over to Jake, who hands him his balaclava and helmet. I take my data and walk towards the pitwall. I connect my headset with the radio and put the headset on. I set everything up for Q1, waiting till it starts.