13 - Heart of Darkness

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"What do you mean no?" Liam asked Scott, his jaw clenching when the words left the alpha's mouth.

I watched the exchange with wide eyes, not knowing how to feel about the whole thing in general. I honestly felt bad for Liam, loosing someone you love can take a toll on someone as young as him. Hayden was more than someone to Liam and to me as well. I put her under my wing when I first found out she was a chimera, making me watch over her like a hawk.

"Liam, look at her," Scott said, "She's too weak, it will kill her."

"Scott-"

"We don't even know what the mercury's doing to her," Scott cut me off, "We don't even know if it is actually mercury. This can't be the only way to save her life."

"It saved mine," Liam pointed out to him.

"You know that was different," I told him in a soft tone.

I remember when Liam told me how he became a werewolf. He said that he was hanging off the hospital's ledge when a wendigo named Sean tried to kill him in the process- making Scott McCall bite him in order to save the younger boy's life. That was way different than the situation that was happening now.

"Carter, you weren't even there," Liam snapped, throwing his hands up in the air before looking at Scott, "You promised Scott. You said you'd everything you could to save her."

Scott started to breath heavily, "Which is why I'm not going to do something I think is going to kill her."

My eyebrows started to furrow in confusion when the boy started to gasp out of nowhere. He looked terrible and that made me step forward toward Scott in concern. Scott tried to get a few more words out before my brother threw him his inhaler, in attempt to get his breath back in the way it was beforehand.

"There's another way to save her," Scott wheezed out before using his inhaler.

Theo looked over at Hayden who was breathing heavily, "Guys, I don't know what the statistics are for surviving a werewolf bite, but she's definitely not surviving this."

I wanted to inwardly sigh because my brother wasn't helping in the end. Theo was destroying everyone's relationships and I didn't want to be apart of it anymore- but he would kill me in the end if I didn't help. Then an idea snapped in my head, what if Scott's mother could help us in the long run?

"Scott," I said, catching the alpha's attention, "Do you think your mom could help? I mean, I know she isn't an actual supernatural doctor, but maybe science could actually be helpful this time."

Scott's eyes lit up before he nodded, "Yeah, let me go call her now."

He walked out of the room, leaving Theo, Liam, Hayden, and I in the room alone. My eyes were pried on Liam who had a crestfallen expression on his face when he kept looking at his dying girlfriend. I felt a presence next to me and I knew that it was Theo, he grabbed my arm before dragging me into another room.

"Carter, I want you to stay in the house tonight while I do what I came to do," Theo ordered me.

"Are you going to hurt them?" My voice came out quiet, more than I wanted it to be.

Theo sighed, "I won't hurt Malia or Lydia, I promise."

Before I could respond, I heard approaching footsteps coming into the other room, making Theo and I snap our heads in the direction to see a woman figure in the room. We walked back into the operating room to see Melissa McCall standing over Hayden with some medical instruments in her hands.