TWO ⭐ Dishing the Dirt

"THAT ONE IS HOT," Belle mutters not-so-subtly, pointing at some dude sitting in the corner reading a hard-bound book. "Look at those hands. Jesus."

"What's so special about that?" Claire snorts. "That guy right there is the real deal."

I look at whoever she's drooling over, and gasp, it's just a plain-looking man in his thirties talking on his phone. Even though I'm not committed to their topic, I can't help shuddering at what I just saw. He has to be married with a litter of kids. I can basically smell midlife crisis and marital frustrations from here.

"Good eye, Claire!" Belle raises her palm for a high five, and Claire happily gives it to her. "Let's look for more."

And that's when I decide to yeet myself out of their conversation.

We're lining up for our after-school snack at Morning Star Cafe. They're both chatting away, but I can't register anything they're saying. It doesn't help that they're still talking about the married dude.

Usually during times like this I can throw my worries away, but right now my spidey senses are tingling. I don't even know why. I can just sense another crap around the corner, and considering how much my life sucks, I'm bound to walk right on it.

The line moves, so I take a step forward. Belle and Claire are still deep in their topic, and I'm just about to tune back in to their conversation when Claire turns to me and asks, "What do you think?"

I blink. "Huh?"

They glance at each other, looking baffled. Then Belle steps closer and peers at me intently. "Are you alright, Savannah? You look kind of sick."

I'm about to brush it off with something witty, but the delicious smells wafting from the kitchen makes me forget what I want to say. I just shrug and say shortly, "It's nothing."

Claire frowns. "It's because of Irvin, isn't it? Too bad you won't let us. . . ."

Her train of thought flies off the rail as her eyes zone in on something behind me. I follow her line of sight and turn around, only to see Joseph and Raju. I've been too busy noting Joseph's strangeness that I forgot about his even stranger best friend.

It's a known fact that Raju has been harboring the biggest crush on me. It's been going on since ninth grade. The flowers, the notes, and that awful Spring Ball proposal still haunt me to this day. Thankfully, he stopped trying to persuade me to go out with him when Irvin and I became official, but he still likes to strike a conversation every now and then. His idea of a small talk usually stretches out to full blown discussions. The only thing missing is a PowerPoint presentation.

Dudes having a crush on me is pretty normal. I mean, I've been dealing with that sort of thing my whole life and at this point, it's really not a big deal anymore. But what sets Raju apart is his. . . eagerness. That never-ending drive to talk. It's scary. Add that to his tendency to say things like 'Nani?' when approached with an unfamiliar concept, and he's almost too unbearable.

Oh, and did I mention that he thinks it's acceptable to run around the school like a ninja?

"Hi, Savannah!" Raju calls out to me as they get nearer towards the exit. "Fancy seeing you here!"

I give him a curt nod. "Bye, Raju."

To my surprise (and absolute terror), he jumps in his spot and heartily waves his arms in the air. Joseph, who's walking ahead of him, sees nothing and proceeds to get out of the cafe while Raju continues to make a fool of himself. Meanwhile, Belle and Claire suppress snickers, and I resist the urge to march up towards the glass doors and push him out.