Chapter 16: Search

"Once they get what they want from me, they're going to kill me like they did Moro" 

The shot they administered had drained his energy, he couldn't snap the chains as he struggled against them. 

"That's not going do anything; you have nothing in your system. Your RC cells are practically dormant" One guy in a clown mask spoke. 

Kaneki spit at him. 

"Listen kid we know all about the methods Yamori applied to you, but guess what? We're not as bad believe it or not. You see he was torturing you for fun. Us? We're going to torture you for a purpose, not only are you going to tell us everything you know about Aogiri's movements, we're going to teach you and your rebel group a lesson in taking actions that impact us" 

"I don't know anything!" Kaneki yelled in protest. 

The clown released a spiky green kagune stabbing Kaneki through the chest. 

"BLAAHUGHH" 

"Alright boys lets have some fun with this punk. Don't kill him and feed him just enough so that he can regenerate, but nothing more understood?" 

"Yes sir"

Meanwhile at Anteiku

The sign was closed at Anteiku as Touka burst through the front door. She saw everybody had assembled including all the Anteiku employees, Uta and Itori as well as Banjou and Tsukiyama. 

"What happened!?" She practically yelled. 

Hinami choked out her story. 

"W-We were walking b-back from the mall and a group of c-clowns c-chased us. Kaneki made me escape so I ran b-back here and g-got the m-manager. When we got b-back to the all-all..." Her crying cut her off as she brought her hands to her face and sobbed. Banjou comforted her. 

Yoshimura finished for her. 

"We caught his scent but lost him at the curb. He was taken by a rebel group known as the clowns, presumably for information" 

Banjou spoke up. 

"Moro was taken and killed by those sick bastards, I hope Kaneki is OK..." Touka trembled and fought the urge to cry out like Hinami, but she had to be strong. 

"Why Ken? Why did you let this happen you selfless bastard" She internally screamed. 

Yoshimura took control of the group. 

"While Kaneki is a lot stronger than before, the problem is much more serious than when Yamori kidnapped him, we have no idea where is. He could be anywhere in any of the wards and we don't know the clowns intentions. For that reason, we'll be shutting down Anteiku for a few days while we search. I also want all of the employees to spend the nights here in the case of an attack. We have to be on high alert. We're going to split into search teams with Hinami, Kaya, Itori and I in different groups as our sense of smell is the strongest and we'll have the best chances of picking him out" 

They divided into 4 groups that would be tasked to search different wards. Touka's group included herself Hinami, Nishiki and Yomo and they would be starting in the 21st ward. 

"If any of you pick up his scent or find him, alert the other groups immediately" 

"We're going to find you. I swear we're going to find you" Touka prayed to herself.

They searched for 6 hours; unable to find anything anywhere, no leads, no scents, nothing. Hinami was falling asleep so Nishiki spoke up. 

"It's getting late guys we should turn in" 

Everybody agreed except Touka. 

"You guys should get some rest I'm staying out" 

"You sure?" 

"I'm going to find him" 

"Alright, good luck" Nishiki took Hinami back to Anteiku. 

"You sure you'll be OK?" Yomo asked with concern. 

"Yeah I'll see you tomorrow" Touka donned her rabbit mask and took to the rooftops. Trying her best to catch his smell herself, she searched into the night in abandoned buildings and warehouses. 

She looked down into the alleys and pieced together a visual of what she imagined happened today. Kaneki not caring about himself at all, she hated his selflessness, always trying to play the hero and never thinking about how others cared about him and his own safety. 

When she looked back down the alley, she thought about when she saved him from Nishiki when he first got turned into a ghoul, how helpless he was. Tears rimmed her eyes but she had to stay focused and keep searching.

It was morning before Touka finally arrived back at Anteiku. She fixed herself a coffee, eyes dead. Kaya approached her. 

"We'll keep searching get some rest" 

"No I'm good just let me drink this" And so the 4 groups kept up their search. Kaneki had gone missing on a Tuesday. Days passed: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes Hide would join the search as well. Touka was a complete disaster having barely slept at all. She was white as a ghost and growing more concerned every day. Her group had searched roughly 7 wards up and down completely with no luck. The other groups finished their searches and only Yoshimura's remained. 

Finally, Sunday evening, Yoshimura, Banjou, and Koma arrived back with sad looks on their faces. 

"Everybody settle yourselves and meet in the lounge upstairs in one hour" Touka started to worry even more. What were they going to do? She stared out the window.

1 hour later

Everybody was gathered in the lounge waiting for Yoshimura. Touka nervously tapped her foot wondering if her love was even alive. Hinami sat beside her holding her hand. 

Yoshimura entered looking solemn. He gauged the room specifically making eye contact with Touka. 

"This isn't going to be easy..." He huffed. 

"We've searched every ward up and down, Kaya nor I were able to catch scent of him anywhere which would mean one of two things...One, He was taken away from the city underground or two..."

Everybody stared at him. 

Touka felt her heart holding on by a single string. 

"He's dead" 

The room went silent. 

"We all know how strong Kaneki is, I can't help but feel if he were alive he would have returned on his own by now. We're going to be opening Anteiku up Tuesday" 

This was the second time in a month that Kaneki was presumed dead, but was he really this time? 

Touka trembled taking this statement in before exploding crying out. 

"W-WHAT DO YOU M-MEAN? HE DIDN'T RETURN ON HIS OWN BEFORE! KAYA HAD TO BRING HIM B-BACK! HE COULD JUST BE INJURED!!!!" 

"Touka this isn't the same. He was specifically kidnapped by a terrorist group this time and Kaya was able to find his scent the first time" 

"I W-WON'T ACCEPT THIS H-HE CAN'T BE DEAD" 

"Touka I know it's hard but please try to calm" 

She cut him off. 

"HE'S OUT THERE! I'M GOING TO FIND HIM AND BRING HIM HOME IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO WHETHER YOU GUYS HELP OR NOT!" She stormed out of the room tears flowing as she sobbed.

Everybody in the room didn't know how to respond. They weren't used to seeing such an emotional Touka. 

"I won't give up on you Ken; I can't go through this again. I'll find you"