The French Revolution

Causes:

⁃ The Enlightenment – The Enlightenment gave the people a new way of looking at things. People were no longer following blindly to whatever leaders saw fit. The arrival of the Enlightenment was more or less the beginning of individuals truly thinking for themselves.

⁃ The American Revolution – When France witnessed the British colonists revolting against Britain, it dawned on them that they too could revolt against the nation that they were tired of being treated unjustly by. The French decided that if the colonists could do it and succeed, then so could they.

⁃ Unfair Taxes – The majority of the taxes were being placed on the lower and middle class citizens of France, while the clergy and the nobility, the richer part of the society, had little taxes to worry about. The Third Estate, the lower and middle class citizens, felt that this wasn't fair, and needed to be changed.

Events:

⁃ The Tennis Court Oath – The Tennis Court Oath was an oath made by The Third Estate members after being ejected from the Estates General for bringing up the fact that they were being treated poorly and being forced to carry burdens that should not be theirs. This oath was to create a constitution, much like the constitution we have in America, to guarantee rights to all French citizens. This was possibly one of the first actions taken to be the start of the French Revolution.

⁃ The Storming Of The Bastille – The Bastille was a fortress like prison in Paris. The revolutionaries stormed the Bastille and freed the prisoners. Although it wasn't the biggest deal there could be, it was used to symbolize that they, the ones who have been treated so unfairly, would not continue to be held back by ones who think themselves so much better. The Storming Of The Bastille was the first big act of the revolution, and now the day it was stormed, July 14 is known as Bastille Day, and is much like Independence Day in America

⁃ Reign Of Terror – The Reign of Terror was led by Robespierre. I can only imagine that it was a scary time to be living in France, for Robespierre was somewhat a madman by the sounds of it. He was a revolutionist who perhaps took it all a little bit too far. He decided that anyone who was against the revolution should be beheaded, and carried that decision out. Although, considering the circumstances, I might have thought that an almost appropriate response for the time, but that was before I found that he also felt it necessary to behead those who were indifferent, or not caring enough about the revolution. He was undoubtedly a bit of an extremist.

Effects:

⁃ The Great Fear – The great fear started when the revolution was still in it's infancy. The lower classes were getting worried about their representation by the Third Estate, or lack thereof. Because of this fear, the people started stealing and rioting, beginning the revolution slowly but surely.

⁃ Death of the King and Queen – The French Revolution started under King Louis XVI, and his wife, Marie Antoinette. During the famous Reign of Terror, Robespierre decided that the King needed to be executed, and did so promptly. Of course, he couldn't allow Antionette to live either, despite the fact that she did not try to claim the throne after her husbands death. The death of the King and Queen were a big part of the revolution, and before each were sent to the guillotine, they were stripped of their titles "King" and "Queen" by the people, to make a point that the upper class had lost their powers.

⁃ Rise of Napoleon – The revolution took it's toll on France, as one might have expected. There were many deaths and changes that submerged France before the revolution could come to an end. By the time of Napoleon, everything was still raw, and though they were building themselves back up, France was much weaker than it once had been. This made taking it over all the easier for Napoleon. He went slowly at first, but once he had tasted power he could never be satisfied and never have enough.

VIVE LA FRANCE

- 27 July, 2016