IV

Chapter IV: Yoo Will Look For Me

The tangy smell of garlic wafted over my nose the moment I came in. I could hear a series of ceramic pots clanking softly against the table. Auntie Samshin's smile is the first thing I see.

"My angel," she calls over. She's in her natural state - shiny black hair with bangs, full lips, smooth marble-like eyes, and glowing skin - just the way a goddess would look like. I sat down across her, my mouth watering over the sight of seolleongtang bowls steaming endlessly and the pitcher of iced red tea that imu has prepared.

"Jal meokgesseumnida," we both voice out, except that I did it faster and in one breath. I haven't eaten anything for the last seven hours since Tae-hee and I had lunch at the Uma Ido restaurant near the university. I grabbed my sujeo and started gobbling over my soup, putting all kinds of spices to fit my taste buds. I almost dropped my metal chopsticks, my heart taking a flutter. I can hear Auntie Samshin clearing her throat, but as soulful as the diety that she is, she ended up chuckling at me anyways.

She took a slow bite out of the ox meat and then looked at me with her knowing smile. "So how was your visit with the goblin?"

I spit out a snort. "You already knew what happened anyways."

"Actually," Samshin takes a long deep breath before continuing. "The reason why I'm asking is because I had a blurry vision of the fate you had today."

This time, I really dropped my chopsticks in the bowl. "Say what now?"

"It happens at times, yes," she answered nonchalantly, scooping a spoonful of beef broth into her mouth. "It does not mean I know your fate, it's a permanent one."

I placed both of my hands on the edge of the table out of sheer curiosity. "Fate isn't permanent?"

"Hey, don't lose hold of your sujeo." She gave a stern look at my fallen chopsticks. "And I asked you first."

I pouted. I wanted to know more about the truth of Samshin's real capabilities. I kept in mind to ask her later on. "Well, where did it get blurry?"

She carefully picked up her glass of iced red tea, her fingers curling delicately around the rim. For half a second, she paused, staring at the slice of lemon floating inside the drink. Then she took one full sip before saying, "It began getting blurry at the stairs. Then you came in. There were two men at the table. Mr. Kim was one of them and he stood up to acknowledge you." She breathed. "Then it got blurry again. The next thing I know you and Mr. Kim discussed something about the books and..."

I leaned in to the table, anticipating her next remark.

"Back to the fuzzy cloud that I know nothing about." I propped myself back to the chair. "So what did really happen back there?"

I played with my soup before answering. "What you just said is exactly the same thing that happened earlier. So, I don't think you missed anything." I ended with a reassuring shrug.

Aunt Samshin thought about it for a while and I swear I could  hear my heart pumping against my thin uniform I thought she must have heard it. I wasn't really thinking of hiding the truth. But something, some magical invisible force, is telling me that I shouldn't mention anything about Deok-hwa to her. And I feel safe doing it.

She clicked her tongue five times and faced me with a disappointed expression. Both of my eyes went saucers for a second and I held the edge of the table for support - you know, just in case.

"You know what?" I took a deep breath. This is it. "I think it's because I've been using my powers too much lately. Or maybe there's just some glitch somewhere near here. I can't explain." She waved her hands dramatically to add up to her conclusion.