TWO: PLOAIE

The blue lightning has seemed to strengthen my body. My mirror fails to show any more of Cadea. I slowly stand up, expecting to feel pain through my body, but none comes. Out in the hallway, I can hear the TV playing another episode of that stupid show my father always watches. He's probably watching right now. I close my bedroom door and place a chair beneath the handle, in an attempt to keep it shut. My door has many holes, the places where my father angrily tried to break it. I look away, not bothered.

The fact that none of my father's actions faze me should be alarming. It should be a sign of being hurt for too long. But I feel nothing and hear nothing. I can only feel the vibrations of my footsteps against the gray carpeted floor.

I can only think of one thing. Run. Cadea's message repeats in my mind, as if she's in my head. I remember. She is me. I am Caden, yet Cadea. It sounds strange. I don't know what it means.

I rush around my room, grabbing clothes and stuffing them messily into my black bag. My watch is already on my wrist, and so are two hairties. My water bottle is added to the assortment.

Makeup. Who needs makeup when your father leaves marks that no one and nothing can cover? I toss all of it aside. My phone is in my pocket along with the portable charger someone gave me. I close the zipper as far as I can on the backpack. My hand reaches for the chair under the handle, but no hesitate and I know he will hear it moving. I walk to my window. Below two stories is the alley. I toss the backpack next to the dumpsters.

My hands tug on the chair. I pushed it under further than I realized. It finally slides out, but not without noise. I freeze, waiting for the sound of his footsteps, but none are audible. I breath a sigh of relief as I sneak down the hallway towards the front of the apartment. There is a mirror on the wall, but I only see me.

My hand rests on the door handle. Behind it is my escape to freedom. I'm so close, but not close enough. I glance behind me, expecting my father to appear. And he does. His hands are behind his back, and his facial expression is an impossible combination of tense and relaxed. I face him, while slowly turning the door knob behind me, opening it inch by inch as he walks towards me. The mirror turns to black suddenly and blue lightning covers me, but Cadea does not appear. He doesn't see the lightning, and as fast as I open the door, he slowly raised his left hand from behind his back. It is not empty. A matte black pistol rests easily in his hands. It would be beautiful, if my father wasn't the one holding it.

Time feels frozen as the door behind me is fully open and I sprint. Behind me, I hear the gun click. As fast as it appeared, the lightning is gone. He screams with a rage in his voice that I've never heard. It's terrifying and powerful. I almost want to stop running, but a shot from the gun reminds me that I won't. For the first time in years, a new fear sweeps through my muscles.

Every step down the stairs feels like it takes an hour. He's gaining on me. One floor, two floors. I reach the base of the stairs and sprint to the last door between me and broken freedom.

He's right behind me now, and as my hand grasps the door handle, he grand my arm. His grip is so tight. It's tighter than ever before. He's losing the source of his power. Me. I scream and with a force I didn't know existed in my broken body, I strike him under his chin. He bites his tounge, screaming vulgar words at me. Adrenaline rushes and I strike again. His painful grip loosens and I struggle to get free, but not before he hits me hard in my chest. I feel no air in my lungs; he took it all away. As the air floods back it burns white hot and I feel electricity pulse through me. The door opens and I slam it on his arm. He holds into me but screams in agony and rage. I've never hurt him before. But I guess "never" is a word I can't use now.

I have to run.

And don't stop until you find me again.