Chapter 26

The next morning, Harry’s mind was still beset with images of mutilated flesh. Seeking the world of normalcy, he decided to call Natasha first. But on his desk lay a scrawled pink message slip. It read: Mr. Tony McKeown called. Offer on 42 Highland about to expire. Call at once.

“What’s this message from Mr. McKeown?” Harry called out to Miss Giveny. “What offer is he talking about?”

“It’s on your desk.”

“Why the hell didn’t you tell me about it?”

“I was going to last night, but you were kicking wastebaskets about and then storming out of the office,” she said stonily. “He called again just before you came in this morning.”

Thoughts pounded in his brain. It was time for a change. A new secretary—one who did not hide evidence from him. Despite his newfound sympathy for her, he was getting sick of her crankiness. But if he were to fire her, what would happen? Immediately he pictured her and Merle eating cat food, in a kitchen with no heat.

The offers were at least twenty percent over his estimation of the present market value. He rang Natasha.

“The appraisal report is ready, Harry.” Natasha’s voice lifted Harry’s spirits.

“I have an offer on the property. For two-point-five million dollars.”

“That’s way over market value. Who submitted it?” she asked.

“A numbered company. A lawyer, Tony McKeown, acts for the purchaser.” In the silence, Harry was unsure if she was still on the line. “Natasha?”

“It is a fantastic offer. But who is behind the company?”

“I don’t know yet, but I’ll find out.” Harry paused. “Natasha? Do you have time for a quick lunch today?” Harry caught his breath. “I mean, I would like to see your report.”

“Certainly, Harry. I’d love to.” After making the necessary arrangements, Harry dialed McKeown’s office.

Harry began, “I realize your client has given us until five this afternoon to respond to the offer on Highland, but I need more time to get the beneficiaries together.”

“Take your time, Harry. Take another forty-eight hours, if you like. My client’s in no hurry. I’ll fax you a letter confirming the extension.”

Harry sank back in relief. Time limitations gave lawyers nightmares. If some critical date whizzed by, the unfortunate lawyer was in the soup.

The telephone rang again. Miss Giveny was not picking it up. Passive insurrection was one of her fondest guerrilla tactics.

“Harold Jenkins here.”

“Harry, it’s me.” Laura’s voice sounded distant.

“Hi, me.” Habits of intimacy died hard.

“Harry, I have to go to Montreal for a conference.”

“Oh?” Suddenly, he felt too weary for anger.

“For the museum. I didn’t mention it earlier, because I forgot to put it in my calendar.”

Harry said nothing. Laura was driven to fill silences. “Is that all right, darling?”

When did she last call me darling? “It’s part of your work, isn’t it?”

“Yes. I have to go,” she said hastily. After a pause, she said, “I got your note about the appointment tomorrow with the marriage counselor.”

“I can rebook it if you want.”

“Let’s talk about it when I get back.”

Nothing decided. Everything postponed. His voice broke in frustration. “What the hell is the point? Be honest, Laura, you don’t have the slightest interest in our marriage.” Harry was amazed. At last the words were out of his mouth.