Writing Prompts

Writing prompts come in all shapes and sizes: one-liners, dialogue prompts, witty remarks, deep thoughts, character banks, song lyrics, and even photographs. Prompts are extremely helpful when you need more ideas for a scene or story in general, a kick starter for indecisive wrivings (writing cravings), or wanting to write out of pure boredom. Pinterest is a great resource to find prompts. Here are quite a few on a variety of subjects to choose from (the list will go on, so expect a few updates on this):

*          *          *

1) "Most of the world doesn't even know we exist. We hide amongst the shadows and try to live a quiet life."

2) "Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?"

          "Not until four."

3) "What's the little blinking light mean?"

          "It means... wait, blinking?"

4) There had never been a worse time to sneeze.

5) "Because to you I am merely a monster. And in the end, that's all I ever was."

6) "In my defense, the moon was full and I was left unsupervised."

7) He realized the child had seen him, and he couldn't let him get away.

8) He looked at his phone, turned pale, then quickly left the room. She watched him, smiling.

9) Everything about her was a lie.

10) The old photos made her conscious of her age, of how much time had passed – and of what an interesting life she'd had.

11) She kept checking her phone and email, wishing someone would make contact.

12) She was carried along by the crowd.

13) As the dream faded, she chased it, forlorn.

14) Amongst her mother's possessions she found...

15) They had to make sure none of their colleagues noticed.

16) She sat in the chair, staring into space, while the kids charged around above her, yelling at the tops of their voices.

17) Write about your favorite place to read.

18) There was something about him. Something about the way he watched me.

19) "I think not."

20) Suzanne has a secret. Danny has the key. Sam is bleeding on the table. And no one has seen Greg since he left for food 4 hours ago.

21) You are a kid's imaginary friend. He's growing up. You're fading away.

22) "I'd know that smirk anywhere."

23) A double agent who goes by two aliases has been assigned to kill his alias on the opposite side.

24) Everyone knows about soul mates. What they don't know is soul enemies.

25) Silence followed the crash of steel and glass.

26) "I'm getting really tired of pretending I'm not evil."

27) He waved his staff, and the monsters ignited.

28) The kind of girl no one would go looking for.

29) It's almost 10 am, and the sun still hasn't risen.

30) The city was strung between the trees, and the people walked on bridges made of branches.