Chapter 9: Catch

"I was on a protection detail in Croatia." Brandt began slowly. "Shadowing the assets."

Kat, Jane, and Benji all listened silently, sitting around the kitchen table as Brandt continued his story: "Husband and wife. They were never supposed to know we were there. Whole thing's routine. It was a milk run."

He took a large swing of his Scotch, staring at his glass as he continued: "Three days in, we caught wind that a Serbian hit squad was after our couple. But," he shrugged, "my team had it under control, we knew they were coming."

He paused, before he admitted: "But I couldn't shake this feeling that I should warn the couple somehow. I wanted to find a way to let them know. But, you know," he shrugged again, "orders are orders, so I didn't."

Brandt sighed deeply, and Kat tensed. She could tell this was where it went wrong.

"One day," Brandt said slowly, "the husband decides to leave the hotel and go for a run. So I follow him and I leave two men with the wife."

He swallowed, his eyes on the ground as he said flatly: "When I get back, my guys are unconscious and the wife is gone."

Benji glanced at Jane, but she was watching Brandt with a sympathetic look on her face as he finished: "Local police found her body three days later. What was left of her anyway."

Kat's face fell, and Brandt finally looked up at them.

"That was my last day in the field." He said quietly. "I couldn't face another life-or-death situation after that."

There was a brief silence as the weight of that statement weighed down on them. Jane finally asked carefully: "So, what happened to the husband?"

"I never saw him again." Brandt replied.

Jane began to nod in understanding when Brandt surprised them all as he continued: "Until two days ago, in Moscow, when the Secretary introduced me to Ethan Hunt."

Kat's blood turned cold and her mouth dropped open. Jane had reeled back in shock while Benji's mouth parted, and he stammered, stunned: "No, that's, that's not what happened. She left him."

"Yeah," Brandt shrugged slightly, staring back at his Scotch, "I heard that one, too, Benji. But, unfortunately," he looked back at the other man, "I was there."

He swallowed before admitting: "Just like I was there when the Secretary got the phone call that Ethan was in custody for killing six Serbian nationals in cold blood."

"An unsanctioned hit." Benji murmured. Apparently this news meant something more to him and Jane, as Kat noted absently that they had looks of horrified realization on their faces. She couldn't really focus on it though, her mind still reeling from Brandt's story as she tried to come to terms with the tragedy for everyone involved.

"Yeah." Brandt said moodily as Jane murmured: "Disavowed."

He exhaled sharply, before raising his head, looking at them once more as he said flatly: "The next thing I know, I'm on a plane to Dubai," he looked at Jane, "wondering the whole time, do I tell him? How do I tell him? That I'm responsible."

Jane's face had flooded with sympathy, all their earlier anger gone as his eyes moved to Benji as he continued: "I could have warned him. I should have warned him. But I didn't."

His eyes shifted, landing on Kat as he finished hoarsely: "And she died."

Kat's gaze was filled with sorrow as she met his eyes, and her heart tugged painfully as she read the regret and, more importantly, deep self-loathing in the ocean-blue depths. They all sat for a long time in silence, feeling overwhelmed by Brandt's admittance and the events of the day.