Chapter 10: Mumbai

Kat bit her lip nervously as Brandt slid their dark BMW smoothly around the fountain circle that decorated the drive, coming to a stop before the valets at the mansion doors.

"Don't do that." Brandt ordered quietly before he stepped out of the driver's seat. "You'll smudge your lipstick."

Kat quickly let go of her bottom lip, smoothing the folds of her red silk dress nervously as Brandt walked around the car while one of Nath's doormen opened Kat's door. He met her eyes as he stood by the door and held out his hand, his blue eyes filled with determination but also concern. Kat took a deep breath, and gathering her courage she took his offered hand and stepped out of the car, her fingers squeezing his slightly as she silently signaled she was ready.

He nodded just slightly, drawing her arm under his as he led them into the party. She could feel the way his muscles were tensed beneath his suit, probably in dreaded anticipation for the stunt he was about to pull, and Kat squeezed his arm reassuringly as they walked passed an Indian dance display in the front lobby.

"Good luck." Kat murmured and he nodded as they parted at a pillar, just behind Ethan and Jane.

"Comm check." Ethan murmured as he stood with Jane, and Brandt replied as he walked passed the pair: "Saturn's got your five-by-five, Jupiter."

"Mercury, heading in." Kat added as she walked in the opposite direction, weaving her way through the party guests and heading for the sign marking the restrooms. Only in a house this big would a person actually mark where his restrooms were. And in gold-plating, too.

"This is Pluto." Benji called in last from where he would be down in the sewers. "I have arrived at the party."

Kat slid passed a couple, who were laughing as they held their champagne flutes, and headed further into the as yet deserted hallway.

"There he is." Jane murmured suddenly over the comms, almost making Kat flinch. She really needed to get used to having their voices pop up in her ear.

"Get us that code." Ethan murmured, clearly meant for Jane. Kat glanced around before opening the door to the emergency stairs and quickly slipping inside and closing the door softly behind her as Ethan informed the team: "Venus moving in on target."

Kat climbed the half-flight of stairs, opening the power box just as Ethan relayed: "Hook's in. You do make an impression." He added, complimenting Jane.

Kat had to agree with him. Jane had looked stunning in her sleek turquoise evening gown, a long slit on one side that showed off the woman's willowy legs, and a plunging neckline that just bordered on the line between teasing and straight-out indecent. Kat could just picture Jane's smoky eyes luring Nath in.

"Why am I Pluto?" Benji whined as Kat clipped on the wire clips. "It's not even a planet anymore."

"Well," Brandt tossed back lightly, "I think Uranus is available."

Kat suppressed a smile, while Benji retorted sarcastically: "Ha-ha-ha. It's funny 'cause you said 'anus'."

There was a pause before Brandt called: "I'm in position."

"Mercury?" Benji called, and Kat murmured: "Just a sec..." She finished wrapping the wires around. "Okay, done."

"I have control of the system." Benji confirmed. "Sending in the rover."

"Great, now get out of there, Mercury." Ethan ordered and she nodded absently.

"Mercury?" Ethan called, and Kat replied quickly: "Yeah, sorry. Going back now."

She poked her head back out of the stairwell door before slipping into the corridor, thanking the Lord that there wasn't anyone there as she did. She had just shut the door when Ethan began coaching Jane: "He's moving to you. Give him your back. You don't want to make it too easy for him."