Chapter One: An Unfortunate Encounter

Rain poured from the sky, drenching everything in its touch. A dark, hooded figure walked beneath the streetlights, listening to the rain around him. A dog barked, cats howled, and rats scurried around the alleyways, but the man payed no mind. He continued walking, alert but realized. He stopped, a noise catching his attention. As he was turning to continue on his way, someone bumped right into the back of him. 

    "Oh! Sorry." The person who bumped into him was an average looking girl. Mousey and dull, but not an eyesore. Her angled face was plastered with dishwater blonde hair, her clothing sopping wet and ill-fitting. 

     The man simply turned around and looked at her. She was taken aback, for the man was very blind, the milkiness of his white eyes stark against his dark skin. 

     "Magdalene" A voice spoke in her head, the walls of her skull vibrating slightly at the sound. 

     "How? How do you know my name?" She stood back, pushing her hair out of her face. No one ever knows my real name. She had gone by Maggs almost her entire life, everyone thought her name was Margaret. She didn't bother to correct them. She liked Margaret better. 

     "Come." The voice responded. The cloak behind the voice motioned forward. The rain didn't seem to affect him, simply moving down his cloak, never stopping to absorb, unlike her soaked clothing. Even her raincoat did a poor job of blocking out these kinds of storms. 

      Magdelene tried to resist following him. He was just a strange, hooded person, whom she had never met in her life. Why would she want to follow him? But as she tried to resist, the hooded man walked forward, and her body followed. What is going on?!

       They arrived at an old church. That wasn't very significant, but what was significant was the simple fact that this church was, well, used to be a museum. It closed down about 25 years ago due to a lack of funding and a growth in whiny teens who had no interest in preserving history. The museum used to be a church, back in the 19th century, until the population grew, and a new church was needed. It then became a museum, displaying both the architecture and old Catholic artifacts, some of which most churches had never seen before. 

      The blind man pulled an old key out of his robe and inserted it into the cast iron gate. Turning it once, the gate clicked open, the hinges squeaked, and the man entered the yard. 

     Magdelene hesitated at the gate, but soon followed as the dark figured man disappeared into the church. 

     The church was as beautiful as it was old, the musty smell reminding her of weekends working at the local natural history museum. She walked past the dark displays, the gold goblets and wafer plates glistening underneath the moonlight. 

     The water from her hair pooled around her, puddling on the marble floors. "Come." The voice whispered again. Walking toward the front of the church, she noticed how small it was. This must have been why they moved. There's hardly any room. She counted twelve pews, six on each side.

     Looking up, she noticed that the chandelier above her was lit, and there were other hooded figures in the room. An uncloaked man walked out from behind the altar. 

     "Welcome, Magdelene. Would you like to be our secretary?"