Sub Techniques

Taking a little break from forming an ability (though this can help it) I find it important and fun to discuss the advanced techniques such as Gyo, In, and so on and so forth!

For reference, I'll be putting down the advanced techniques below!

Gyo - Gyo is probably the easiest to remember, because it's the first advanced technique that Gon and Killua learn. Gyo is concentrating Ren into the eyes, and strictly the eyes so it leaves the rest of your body pretty open and it takes quite a bit out of you. But, with it you can render tricky techniques like In useless and completely wreck the opponent's plan.

In - This one is also a simple one to remember, being the second technique shown to us! Basically another type of Zetsu to hide your Nen except you don't have to cut off any aura.

En - Also a counter to In and is made up of a combination of Ren and Ten. It's really tiring since one is basically expanding his entire aura up until whatever point he needs it 10 meters, 50 meters, etc. Generally, it's in the shape of a sphere but most of us remember Neferpitou's crazy, weird, amorphous En which makes sneaking into enemy territory a lot more shifty and dangerous.

Ko - Gon's ability primarily utilizes this technique. It's basically an offensive Gyo, forcing all of your aura into whatever part of the body; fist, foot, knee, elbow. Ko uses 100% of one's aura, so like Gyo, leaves the rest of your body open for attacks. And that's when Ryu comes in.

Ryu - This is where you can adjust your aura to different parts of your body, so you're not completely defenseless but you can also pack a pretty good punch. For example, sending 40% of your aura into your fist while keeping the rest out to guard your body.

Ken - Basically a Ko. For your entire body.

That didn't make too much sense to me while I was watching the anime, but let's try and explain it. Essentially, it's a high-powered and cooler Ren. Your aura won't be as strong as it would be packed into your foot for a kick with Ko, but it's pretty darn strong. But obviously, it drains out your energy pretty quickly like En; you have to expend quite a bit of aura. (Oh hey wait, Ko + En = Ken! That's a good way to explain it. You expend your aura but concentrate it to surround your body at the same time!)

Shu - Ten and sometimes Ko or Gyo for an object you may be holding. To shroud other objects around you with your aura is Shu, making them a lot more durable or sharper. It's a pretty safe guess to say that Hisoka uses Shu to make his playing cards as sharp and sturdy as a good blade.

I think Ryu would be the most practical and useful advanced technique out of all them, because it doesn't expend as much energy as Ko or En would. You can make aura stronger in some parts for an attack and keep some aura to guard. Like in martial arts, you normally would keep a hand open or somewhere relatively close enough to guard for your opponent's attack.

But In's also pretty cool. You get to hide your aura without having to cut off your aura. Zetsu leaves you rather defenseless but In generally fixes that. Gee, it's hard to choose a favorite between In and Ryu...

What's your favorite advanced technique?