Baby Time

Elena sat in the uncomfortable hospital bed staring off into space. Damon sat, sleeping, at her side and she smiled when she saw a small little piece of drool escape his mouth. She had just gotten her epidural and was all relaxed not feeling any pain. He had just entered hour six of labor and just wanted to push out this little baby already.

"How are we, Elena?" Dr. Stewart asked entering the room.

"Totally relaxed," She replied.

"Let's see how far dilated you are," The doctor said while checking. "You're ready to push."

Elena smiled and smacked Damon. "Get up!"

Damon jolted awake and rubbed his eyes. "I didn't fall asleep I swear."

Elena laughed. "Time for this baby to come into the world, Damon."

Damon nodded and stood up clutching Elena's hands.

"Mr. Salvatore I am going to have to ask that you put on this robe. Sanitary purposes." A nurse said handing Damon a yellow robe. Damon accepted it and draped it on him and took hold of Elena's hands again.

Dr. Stewart pulled on the same robe and a nurse draped a towel on Elena's chest. "I want you to push when I say so."

Elena nodded. She took in a few deep breaths trying to prepare herself.

"OK, Elena," Dr. Stewart nodded. "Push."

With all her might Elena pushed squeezing Damon's hands. Even with the epidural it still hurt like hell. She felt like she was pushing out a country not a little baby. Realesing her push she breathed heavily.

"Good job," Dr. Stewart praised. "She's crowning. She should be out within the next few pushes."

"Keep up the good work sweetheart," Damon said staring deeply in Elena's eyes.

"Push, Elena," Dr. Stewart instructed.

Elena pushed harder this time with not success. She had to push ten more times before the shrill cry of a baby finally sounded making Elena's heart swell and tears of joy streamed down her face. Dr. Stewart placed the baby on the towel and handed Damon a pair of scissors.

"Would you like to cut the cord, Daddy?" She asked.

Damon nodded and expertly cut the cord. Elena saw a single tear escape his eyes. The nurses were busily working on cleaning the baby. Elena put her finger out and gently stroked her daughters supple cheek. She stared into her hazel eyes she inherited from Damon. Brown hair lightly covered the baby's head.

"Happy birthday, Amberlynn," Elena cooed.

"Welcome princess," Damon smiled looking down at his little girl rubbing her hand and grabbing Elena's with the other.

"I'm sorry to break this up, but we have to do procedure," A nurse said and took away Amberlynn from them.

Damon looked down at Elena and kissed her softly on the lips. "You're a mommy."

Elena smiled. "You're a daddy."

A few minutes passed before the nurse brought back Amberlynn in a generic blanket. "She is a healthy 6 pound baby. 21 inches long."

She handed Elena her daughter and Elena let more tears fall freely down her cheeks. Damon rubbed Amberlynn's head. They both just stared at their sleeping baby. Elena knew two things: If anyone tried hurting her baby they would be in a lot of hurt and that her family was complete.