chapter twenty-seven.

holy grail.

●-●-●-●

Myra made sure that Shaylynn knew she was pregnant. Shaylynn cut down what practices Myra had so they would be shorter. Still the media had no idea.

She would wear sweaters while out in public when the pregnancy began to slightly show. They never suspected anything and only photographed her walking into stores or getting gas for her car.

On that particular day, Los Angeles was in the middle of a heatwave. With temperatures over 100°, nobody could escape it. With air conditioners on in the house, Myra and Michael still felt the heat.

Myra was wearing a tank top with a pair of shorts. She lay on the floor, fanning herself with an old magazine from around the house. Her hair was tied away from her in a tangled ponytail.

"Why are you on the floor?" Michael asked when he walked into their living room.

"Heat rises," answered Myra as she looked back at him.

"I know that," replied Michael as he sat on the chair closest to her.

"It's hotter than hell and it feels slightly better down here," added Myra and she continues to fan herself. "Therefore you are going to have a hard time getting me off this floor."

Michael only laughed. He knew it was hot -- hell, he was sweating then. He never imagined he would actually see his wife on the floor other than playing with the dog who was laying near her water bowl asleep and paws in the air.

In her tank top the bump on her stomach was visible. It was small, but it was there. The child that would be welcomed in eight months. It thrilled Michael to know that he was actually going to be a father.

Myra eventually stood up, keeping the magazine with her.

"I'm gonna go take a cold shower," she stated, hoping that would help keep her cool.

She took down her mess of hair as she went up to stairs. She grabbed a towel and went into the bathroom and shut the door.

She peeled the sweat covered tanktop off her body and threw it in the floor. The rest of her clothes soon joined it. She turned on the water to cold before she stepped in.

At first the cold shocked her. She stood there for at least ten minutes before her body grew used to it. She soon enjoyed the cool water as it erased the heat from her.

She layered her hair in shampoo when it was wet enough. She washed the shampoo from her hair, the bubbles washing down her body and into the drain.

She put conditioner into her hair and soon went to wash it out. She used her favorite body wash that she had bought on a whim and because it smelled good.

When she finished she shut the water off. She dried herself off with the towel before she wrapped it around her body. She went into their bedroom where the door was shut.

She changed outfits and put the one she changed out of with the dirty laundry. She put on a pair of white shorts with red tank top she fished from her closet.

When she was dressed, she draped the towel over her shoulders. Hairbrush in hand she walked back downstairs barefoot where Michael still sat, fanning himself with a book. She sat on the couch, running the hairbrush through her tangled mess of hair.

Michael had his hair tied back in hopes to relieve the heat. He wore a thin white shirt which helped a little.

Myra switched on the television and turned it to the weather channel. She hoped that the temperatures would ease back down to the eighties at least. Temperatures in the hundreds were enough to make Myra a puddle on the floor.

The temperatures were all around the same for the forecast. They were all in the hundreds, but by the end they were decreasing but only two degrees.

She flicked through different channels when she finished brushing her hair. She decided on a show called Friends. Her own friends had been watching the show and found it pretty funny.

She soon learned the names of the characters -- Monica, Rachel, Chandler, Phoebe, Ross, and Joey. Monica was the clean freak, Chandler cracked jokes, Rachel had trouble with relationships, Ross was boring, Phoebe sang, and Joey was an actor who flirted.

Myra mainly spent her day watching that television show. Michael eventually settled beside her and watched it with her.