Chapter 4: And so it continues

"Hey Sorb!" Mattheo called me.

"I have a name you know. Mattheo." Calling us sorb instead of our own name actually offends me. It feels like an insult.

"How'd you know my name?" He asked sounding shocked that I actually felt my eyes rolling in a very fast manner.

"It's what the prince called you right. I mean, Prince Gregory the fourth."

"All right. What's your name?" He stopped from his tracks to face me.

"My name is James Porter Inkwell." I said my name with pride.

"Ok. James." He said but I don't know if that's a sarcasm or not. He has this serious aura that surrounds him. Well, that's a hundred times better than being a smug prince.

"What's your age? You look like you're too young to serve the sorb." He asked me.

"I'm turning 18 tomorrow. How about you? You look like you're too young to serve the royal army?" I responded.

"I'm 20. The King appointed me to lead the army."  he answered simply.

"What do you mean lead the army? What's your position if you don't mind me asking?"

"Uhhhmm...The Chief Commander." He blushed lightly while stroking his neck. He immediately lowered his hand and returned to his serious self when he noticed that he didn't look tough.

"Wow. No way, really?" My respect further increased for this guy. How can he even be appointed to the highest rank in the army at a very young age?

"Yeah. They have been training me since I was sixteen." He seems embarrassed telling me this. Cool. Also, may I comment about how he looks cute when he's acting like an embarrassed child. He stopped walking and delved into his pocket until he took a key out.

"Here we are." He opened the door with a painted number 30 and motioned me to come inside.

"Thank you very much." I said in gratitude. "You're the only person who has been nice to me ever since I step foot here."

"Don't bother." He said then started to walk away. I closed the door and observed my new home.

The room was very small. The only thing that's in it is a bed and all my luggage. I quickly removed all my wet clothes and started to change. So much for my first day. I let out a sigh and laid myself  on the bed. I hope tomorrow will be better than this day. I hope so...

------

I heard a loud ringing of a bell first thing in the morning. Gah! What time is it? I looked at the window. It was just dawn. I groaned and covered my ears with my pillow and tried to return to dreamland but I was interrupted when someone furiously knocked on my door.

"All oversleeping servants will be given the necessary sanction. I repeat. All oversleeping servants will be given the necessary sanction." He keeps on badgering that I gave up and have no choice but to wake up.

"Ah! Fine!" I said and tossed my pillow away. "I'm awake for god's sake stop knocking!" The continuous tapping on the door triggered the beast in me. I need sleep so bad. I slept late last night and I was damn tired.

I changed on my working clothes and went out of my room. I spotted some workers who is also late in waking up. I followed them until we arrived at some place where the workers eat. The sight of food made me remember that I didn't eat lunch nor dinner yesterday. I just realized I am starving.

I immediately went in line and it feels like the longest line in history. When I finally reached the counter, I was hoping for a food extravaganza but instead, they gave me a pile of who-knows-what goo.