i'm on the night bus, i'm thinking about us

As soon as the sun drops, everything in sight seemed to change. Light diffuses into small patches against the darkness as I look out the window. It was late again, and I took the last night bus home.

My fingers tightly gripped the brown envelope I had in my hand. Inside was my plane ticket, the one thing that I needed to get to my dreams. All I had to do was to pack my bags and leave everything behind— including Jihyun.

I looked over at my phone, its screen lit up with a call. With shaky hands, I answered it with a soft, worried, "Hello, Jihyun."

"Did you get it?" The excitement in his voice was evident, hopeful. "Did you get the role?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "I did."

"Dara, I'm so proud of you!" I could feel him jumping up and down. "I knew you'd get it! They'd better regret it, if they don't."

I nodded. "I have the ticket, too."

There was a sudden silence, like a gust of air had passed through us, through the phone. Like something dropped, and we both had a sudden realization.

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning."

It was the last night I could be with him, before I leave for Los Angeles— a million miles away from our Seoul.

"You're finally getting what you've always dreamed of. I can't tell you how happy I am for you, babe," Jihyun said, a hint of hesitation in his tone.

"I know... I still can't believe it," I replied.

"Don't worry about me, Dara. I mean it," he said with a sigh.

"I know, but is it really worth it? I mean, I could find plays here, and I could still be with you."

"Dara, I won't let you pass on this opportunity for me," he replied with a stern tone. That was Jihyun. He was always so supportive of my dreams, so supportive that he was ready to let me go to help me chase mine.

"It's going to be alright, Dara. Imagine, my girlfriend— a Hollywood actress? That's going to be everything!"

I smiled. I was lucky enough to have him by my side. We may be apart, but I know that he is always there, he will always be there. I have nothing to fear.